*NO* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening & Ocarina of Time 'Island in the Eye of the Storm'

Liontamer

Need someone who has a good handle on the sources to break this down; sounds mostly original offhand - LT

Hi! This is my first submission. I'm very excited to be a part of your community! (Actually, I've been lurking in the forums for months.... but now my sequencing computer is finally working again, I can finally participate in this grand project of yours).

Contact Information

ReMixer Name: Tamias

My Real Name: Benjamin Paric

My Email: tamias.squirrel@gmail.com

My User ID on the forums: 24807

Submission Information

Submission Title: Island in the Eye of the Storm

Games Arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (primary), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Songs Arranged: The Storm (Opening Sequence) (Zelda: LA), Zelda's Lullaby (Zelda: OoT), other more obscure themes and motifs from several Zelda games

Information About the Games: Themes from Zelda: LA by Yuichi Ozaki, Kazumi Totaka, Minako Hamano, and Kazue Ishikawa; Zelda's Lullaby by Koji Kondo

About the Submission

A couple years back, I got this wild idea to remake the entire soundtrack to The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, add some original cinematic themes and flair, expand the storyline with infected woodland creatures and nightmares and backstories for the Sirens and release it on an April Fool's day during one of these terrible Zelda droughts as the official soundtrack to a remake :3 That turned out to be very ambitious for one person -- over two hundred tracks. I don't know if I'll ever finish it.

This one came out all right, though. I'm still unhappy about the slight "muddiness" the artificial reverb caused, but I think it's still nice to listen to. There are many original themes sprinkled around that are prevalent in other pieces in my soundtrack, such as "Link's Theme" (1:40 to 2:16 area), which I am not ashamed to say I think is very beautiful. I'm so modest :3

Many instruments here are sampled, mostly by myself. The strings sections (and trumpets, trombone, and horns, for a few passages) were recorded in a cramped room at a local music hall, and I personally provided the glockenspiel, piano and flute. The track took about two weeks to pull together. I used Audacity and FL Studio for most of the mastering and post-processing.

The idea was that this was to play behind a beautiful, voice acted CG intro (screw Nintendo traditionalisms, I've got money) where Link has become something of a soulless, depressed clod after searching the high sea for weeks away from Hyrule and his beloved searching for "purpose." When his ship is caught in an incredible storm and he and his crew are thrown overboard, he spies a mysterious island in the calm of the storm... And the rest is history :3

Anyhoo, regardless of what you guys decide, I'm so happy to be a part of what you're doing. I'll have more coming at you, you can be sure of that, and I'm only gonna get better and better.

Thanks,

~Ben

LT EDIT (8/27): Uh, I'm gonna ignore the emo stuff that implied we hate the track or whatever. Seems as if it's just 2 sources, then original motifs by the artist.

Hey there, Larry.

The song contains "The Storm" (Introduction to Link's Awakening), "Zelda's Lullaby", and many original themes.

However-

This track was submitted mostly because I was desperate to have something to submit. Obviously that was a mistake--I don't see the song as relevant to your fantastic collection anymore. Thanks for your understanding.

If I ever get around to arranging anything worth sharing, you'll be the first to know.

I'm reasonably familiar with the soundtracks and this is the stuff I definitely heard:

0:54-1:04 Lullaby

3:31-3:47 The Storm

1:04-1:07 also sounds familiar, and I feel like that's from one of the ending themes? There's a lot of things that sound Zelda-esque in here, so I might be missing a lot. Maybe we should ask him.

The whole three note pattern going through the entire track starting at 0:37 sounds like the castle theme from A Link to the Past if I'm not mistaken. If it is we have a LOT of source sprinkled. Also there's the main Zelda theme at 0:34-0:39. I think there's a lot from the opening animation.. or at least something I recognize at 2:20->

I say we e-mail the guy asking him. Maybe he missunderstood what OCR was about and made it mostly original? Might save us a lot of headache.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, headache indeed.

Songs Arranged: The Storm (Opening Sequence) (Zelda: LA), Zelda's Lullaby (Zelda: OoT), other more obscure themes and motifs from several Zelda games

Don't mean to sound critical/harsh as I'm sure that wasn't his intent, but that definitely doesn't really help us out. "Here's my remix, fellas, there's some source music in there, but I'll let y'all sort through a couple hours of music to find it!" :<

Anyway, I'm gonna hold off the vote for now until we hear back from Ben. I will say it's a nice sounding piece, though I agree I'm having trouble identifying the source tunes clearly. Poo.

• 1 month later...

Dang Larry, you should have bumped this. I just now noticed he replied back and you edited the OP.

Anyway, subbed 6 months ago, and sat in limbo since panel'd, I'm gonna go ahead and start the paperwork on this one, so to speak.

Pretty swell orchestral writing, very cinematic and movie-worthy for sure, but not any obvious and dominant connections to either source tune. Maybe brief cameos at best I thought.

Cool track, some great composing (if not the strongest sample usage), and it's very Zelda-ish indeed. Has some very serenely beautiful and mysterious vibes that I particularly enjoyed. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, this is mostly an original piece.

At any rate, thanks for the submission, Benjamin, I'd love to hear you submit another remix (that's maybe not quite so much of an original piece) in the future!

NO