*NO* Halo 2 'In Pillar of Autumn'

Liontamer

Contact Information

* Artist Name: Sonic Dilerium

* lepape_tardif@hotmail.com

* Forum Userid: 28679

Submission Information (in attachement or in links below)

* Halo 2

* In Amber Clad

* Martin O'Donnell, Michael Salvatori

* Original Song Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLS5NShCwzA&fmt=18

* Comments: I was in a halo remix roll some months ago and found that this song needed a slight retouch. I started from scratch, gathered my beat samples, assembled the intruments, added the original melody, and then came the real me. Another experiment that turned into a real piece... at least I hope so. Even when most people tell me it sounds "awesome", In my heart i always still believe improvement is something that never dims. I'm opened to severe critics so feel free to say whatever you want. If its bad, its bad; if its good, okay; if it's perfect, I won't belive you ;)

Just a side note.

Since I'm new to the OC community I just wanted to say Hi and that I find your criteria more than adequate for song submissions. Whoever is juging this song, I salute you and all your other colleges!

Best Regards.

Marc

LINKS:

Youtube Stream:

Garageband(Not <192kbps):

Other Songs(3 other Halo remixes): http://www.youtube.com/user/lepape2

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND DEVOTION. REALLY APPRECIATED!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - (12) "In Amber Clad"

Structurally, it was too similar to the original. The strings, the bassline, the pads, the percussion writing, the overall mood to start. Too close. It did have some differences in instrumentation, but nothing that significantly made it seem much different than a MIDI rip for the opening minute.

1:19 introduced some nice original piano writing sprinkled on top of the source. Wasn't quite feeling the percussion, and the fakeness of the string articulations was badly exposed when the notes changed. Things got very buzzy/distorted on the low end from 2:20-2:41. Nice dropoff at 2:42. 2:20-onward was more along the lines of the interpretation I was looking for. Retained the structure of the original, but had more substantive additions.

Maybe the others won't have as much a problem as I am, but to me this walks a fine line with apeing nearly every part of the source verbatim. Even cover-ish stuff like Castlevania "Wicked Six" or Star Fox "Space Cowboys" featured brand new supporting writing to complement melodically conservative stuff. The mood with this one was a bit different compared to "In Amber Clad", and I liked the additions, so that's not to say there wasn't going in the right direction personalizing the theme. But I needed something less cut-and-paste structurally. Refining the strings and fixing the distorted section would also be great.

Lemme clarify that this isn't to say we hate cover-ish material or that it's bad music. I liked this in a vacuum, but as far as the site's arrangement standards, we're looking for arrangements with a bit more interpretation. You had some ideas going in the right direction, so if you'd be interested in going that route on your material, Marc, we'd definitely look forward to hearing it!

NO (resubmit)

Nearly identical for the first 1:19, with only some subtle background and sample changes. Even with the new piano lead after that, I thought it was too similar. Only the quiet bridge and the section following it with original string writing really stood out as being new, and both of those were nice additions. That intro section definitely needs to differentiate itself, either with different structure, instruments, or writing. After that, it might be enough to just change up the beat or have some slighter changes.

Larry also pointed out a clipping section that needs to be fixed, but otherwise, the production sounded nice. I could see this one passing if the arrangement is liberal'd up a little.

NO (resubmit)

Sorry, but I gotta agree with my colleagues here that it is really too close to the original for comfort. Combined with some of the string and percussion issues (the snare especially sounds flat and lifeless), and it just ends up being something that is a good base for a remix, but needs some more personalization and a few production improvements.

no