Grand theft auto 3 - Intro

Mp3:

http://www.nfftrax.nl/trax/625359807-gtalaatste.mp3

Youtube:

Source:

I wanted to do a redo of this song for a long time. I love doing remakes by ear since they help learn about the usage of instruments in certain genres/types of songs. Since i have no musical background and no knowledge of musical theory.. remakes are a good way to learn new stuff i think.I got some things wrong though.. like the last 2 chords of the string part.. (hard to hear the notes seperately there for me)

But since i like the mix, now i want to (re)submit this remake as a remix. Any thoughts on changes I could make?.. I was thinking of a woodwind solo myself... maybe use the harmon mute trumpet for that... should that be enough? it might kill this song though cuz it gets its charms of being repetitive and only having subtle changes.

Piano could be more centered, or more spread between the channels (just don't do some silly autopan thing). Bass is way too loud, and could use some more mids and high, actually (or less low boosting). Cymbals could use some centering/spreading too. I'd recommend giving them the panning using more phase shift than volume panning, that should sound more realistic.

Hard to say what you'd need to change to make this an ocr-type remix without knowing the source. The sound is pretty good imo, but can't say if it's different enough from source. Adding a solo to a very conservative arrangement isn't OCR-style and probably wouldn't get past the panel. Can't say if this is conservative without comparing to source, but as you say it's more a remake than an arrangement it's probably too close.

Nice jazz sound, tho.

Piano could be more centered, or more spread between the channels (just don't do some silly autopan thing). Bass is way too loud, and could use some more mids and high, actually (or less low boosting). Cymbals could use some centering/spreading too. I'd recommend giving them the panning using more phase shift than volume panning, that should sound more realistic.

Hard to say what you'd need to change to make this an ocr-type remix without knowing the source. The sound is pretty good imo, but can't say if it's different enough from source. Adding a solo to a very conservative arrangement isn't OCR-style and probably wouldn't get past the panel. Can't say if this is conservative without comparing to source, but as you say it's more a remake than an arrangement it's probably too close.

Nice jazz sound, tho.

Thanks for the great tips man.. very much appreciated.. especially that cymbal phase shift might help. Piano is panned to the left cuz the source has that to.. sorry for not posting.. source:

Im bad with mixing lows.. never comes out right.. gonna try what you said though

I think what you should do is start to 'unwind' it, so to speak. Start changing up the progression and explore with it. Even though you may not have any proper theory background, your ears should tell you what works and what doesn't. After a bit, you should definitely throw in a solo or two.

Good shtuff.

Appreciate your comment! Different progression and 2 solo's sounds good.. maybe change in drums and the way the bass is played.. yea thx