Monkey Nostalgia (DKC) - Stream added

Feather

Greetings. I've been visiting this site for a while to get remixes because I love video game music, but it wasn't until a few days ago that I attempted to create my own. This song is dedicated to my mother who has played the DKC games with me since I was just a young lad. It is a remix of the ending to Donkey Kong Country. I created it in FL Studio 8 (over the course of a few days in which I was learning the functions of the program). As of right now, I can only think that it might need more original material in it, because it certainly relies on the source and it could use some variation in the drums too I suppose. Oh! It needs a proper ending too... Please take a listen and criticize it. Thank you!

Stream:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=974291

I'd say it needs more _interpretation_, not original material. Nothing wrong with original sections, solos, intros, stuff, but it better be tied into the source well enough. It's also more fun to hear bits of the source in parts you didn't expect that bit to appear in.

In any case, I think you need to learn to _mix_ better and pick the right sounds for the right parts. You have a lead melody that I can barely hear, and a backing part that takes the spotlight. Sometimes mixing other ppl's midis is the practice you need. Sometimes writing originals is the practice you need. Dunno what exactly you should do, but imo you should practice something.

Nice start. Enjoyable, some creative touches... For someone who's never done any remixing before this is pretty good.

Thanks for the reply. I think I have grasped what you said and I'll surely try to work it in to the song. I am going to find the source and try to follow it a little closer. I'll also bring out the main melody a good bit more. Stay tuned for a v.2