Terranigma Orchestrated WIP

FASD330

-Title

-Credits

. . . I don't know, I still have to come up with a good ending, I also can't belive I spent too much time on this. Anyway, tell me what you think and uhh . . . sorry for the low quality, it takes too long to upload.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tgzzatdigmn

UPDATE

Umm, long story short, my pc crashed everytime Ioaded the file so I had to start all over again. All I can say is that I tried my best.

Thanks to the people that posted on this thread, it really helps. I hope you guys like it

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nzinztem2km

UPDATE 12 - 31 - 2009

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zymzkyijmn

-Changed some instruments like piano and brass.

-Lowered tempo in some parts (I started listening to the original soundtrack and I noticed . . . It was way too fast)

-Turned compressor on. Silly X)

I don't know . . . what do you think?

-Title

-Credits

. . . I don't know, I still have to come up with a good ending, I also can't belive I spent too much time on this. Anyway, tell me what you think and uhh . . . sorry for the low quality, it takes too long to upload.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tgzzatdigmn

Nice, but when those strings come in it sorta drowns out the flute/clarinet/whatever the hell it is. Try lowering the volume a teeny bit on the strings.

Be careful with that rhythm, it doesn't sound like things are starting when they are supposed to start. The measure placement seems a bit off in some places, make sure you don't start something too early or too late in terms of # of beats away from the start of a measure.

Pretty good other wise.

Try upping the bitrate to 192, it'll improve the quality (a LOT). As for the too long to upload... well... have some patience. If your file is over 6 MB lower the bitrate until it's 6 or below MB.

Can you please provide source links?

I like this. It's a very solid arrangement, except for the acknowledged lack of an ending. You use your strings way better than most people who post orchestra WIPs here.

There seems to be something odd going on with the reverb and/or panning on the flute at the start. It sounds almost as if there are two flutes playing, one on the far right and a quieter one with a slower attack just left of the center. I don't know what's causing this, since I can't see the project file, but it sounds odd. I also agree with neblixsaber that the flute at the start is getting drowned by the strings' entrance. If you don't want to bring the strings' level down, you could double the flute line in another instrument to make it louder.

I find the sudden harmonic shift at 1:35 jarring (it goes from F# major to E minor/G major, if I'm not mistaken). The brass melody ending on D at 1:34 sounds like it wants to go to D# rather than E. If sudden transition is what you're going for (and the simultaneous change of instruments at that point suggests that maybe it is), it's fine (and, obviously, it's also fine if it's pulled from the source, which I'm not familiar with); just be aware that it's something of a cold-water-in-the-face moment.

The piano line starting at 1:57 sounds a little mechanical.

I think one bit of polish you could add to this that would really make it shine would to play around with the levels of sustained notes, particularly in the strings. Depending on exactly what sequencer/plug-in configuration you're using, you should probably be able to do this by drawing curves on MIDI control channel 11 (expression) for the instrument you're working with. This will let you easily taper the loudness of sustained notes with crescendos/decrescendos and give you a more natural sound.

ZOMG Terranigma!! One of my fav's!

I love the build up as the chords get stronger in volume and so forth, then the intro to the trumpets - oh man. This is epic =D, except the piatti is a bit cruddy IMO, that's an easy fix though. Actually maybe this just needs to be rendered in a higher bitrate.

And holy crap - this feels very professional. I love the variances in emotion and strength, as it fluctuates...what's that called again?? Damn slipped at the edge of my tongue, anyways, wow. This track definitely captivated me - and made me shed a tear or two :oops:

IMO it could end at the arpreggio part with the harp, just make it ease out with a solo bassoon or something, playing a higher octave, very emotional thing...maybe the Terranigma Sad tune, not sure.

Anyways this is just said opinion from a humble noob; 5/5

You must sub this when it's done!!

• 2 months later...

I'm hearing a lot of fuzziness throughout the mix when you get a lot of instruments going. I'd look into that. 2:36 is where it hit the hardest, but it's everywhere and it hurts the mix.

Your flute/clarinet and piano feel very robotic, mess around with the sustain lengths and humanization a bit so that those instruments don't feel so fake. The samples are alright, but they definitely need the human touch to them.

Your string work is pretty good though, that's a strong point in the song IMO.

Keep working on this one, it's definitely got potential but I don't think it's ready for submission yet.

• 2 months later...

Still sounding awesome.

The strings are panned left and right a little too hard for my tastes. It feels like there's a hole in the center of the orchestra where there should be second violins and violas. I'm not sure how you have your string patches set up, but if you have all your high string lines together and panned left, you might want to split some of them off and put them more towards center. I'm listening on headphones, though, which magnifies the left/right effect; it may not be an issue on speakers.

I love the oboe solo at the end, but I think using B-flat major rather than G major (relative major in relation to G minor instead of parallel major) for the solo might work better. This would avoid the clash between the B-flat and B-natural from G minor to G major, which is jarring since B-natural is currently the first note of the solo. If you want the clash there in order to emphasize the distinction between sections, I understand, but I think the change in texture and mode is enough to set it apart. You should be able to transpose the entire section up a minor third without otherwise changing it if you want to see how B-flat major sounds.

The ending still seems a bit abrupt to me. I think it's because both the melody and the harp end on the fifth degree (D) of the scale without clear harmonic support, which leaves things very open. I think closing it might be as simple as adding a G an octave-and-a-half below the harp's final D. Just an idea, though. If you like the openendedness, you might want to leave it as is.

In the section from 3:02-3:55, the harp is too loud. I'm assuming you're going for realism, and you wouldn't be able to hear the harp over the entire orchestra in a live performance. If I were doing it, I'd back the harp off and double the line in the violins and/or all of the winds. (EDIT: Glockenspiel would work also, but too much glockenspiel can get obnoxious.)

Other than that harp section, the relative levels of instruments work well. I'd be interested in hearing it without the compressor, though. The mix sounds a little squashed and mid-rangey right now, and the compressor may be contributing to that. I generally use this harmonic exciter on my orchestra mixes. I find that it opens up the sound a bit and gives the mix more realism, and I think it would sound good on this mix (but don't turn the low contour dial up very high).

This is a really nice arrangement, all in all.