*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Oracle of the Sun - Part 1'

Liontamer

Yes it's YouTube; hit the HQ button in the video to listen to it properly. I wagged my finger and all that. - LT

EDIT: Got a real version sent to me...at 16.6MB. One day, he'll do it right. :-)

Composer: John Sweeney (Sweendrix)

Song: Main Theme from the Original Legend of Zelda

Link:

-------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda.zip - Track 1 ("Title")

I'm liking the mood of the arrangement, but it plateaued early as far as the amount of the ideas that were there. You need to develop the arrangement more, not just develop a verse of ideas & repeat them. And you also need to not use cruise control drums that have no variation and don't make a cohesive texture. You will NEVER get a song passed that basically has the same drum pattern for seven straight minutes. :-D It's either half-hearted or half-assed, but either explanation is no good.

4:09 was a good rise in the intensity of the leads, but still didn't offer much dynamic contrast or development beyond that one change. The mixing of the percussion at 5:16 was awkward; they got drowned out and just mudded together with other sounds in the background.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with constructing something with a subtle curve, but you need more variation and evolution, even if the piece basically stays in first-and-a-half or second gear, tops. Develop the ideas more.

You clearly have the ability to get a mix passed in terms of creating your own mood & style for a piece as well as decent production (even if some of your mixing between parts is off), but your arrangement approach for this is honestly kind of lazy and you're better than that. We're looking for fully-developed arrangements, John, so really put all of your potential into it.

I liked your past Halo stuff and this had some initial promise, but it's time to raise your game.

NO (resubmit)

Nice clean guitar tone, pretty rich and fills things out nice.

Transitions were weak with no drum fill at all into the first rock part, and the arrangement was like a rock treatment of some jam band action. You got a sort-of groove going, and then nothing could get you off that cut and pasted backing track. About 7 minutes later, it does switch to a B section of the dungeon music.

Attention to detail and overly repetitive structure is what seems to killing this one. The production is good, and the playing is pretty creative, but it's just too plodding and some of your choices seem a little too...well I don't want to say lazy, but i'm not sure what else I can say about the drums. :-(

They lack variation and just keep on going and going. You could probably stand to bring the B section in earlier and mix it up a bit more. Do some A section, throw in the B, bring back A.

The production is solid on this, so just keep working on the arrangement. Until then, I gotta go

no

Can't do much else than agree with my fellow judges. The drums are on auto-pilot (and obviously a loop), the piece lacks some personalization and evolution within the track. Furthermore I think the drums and guitars, while good in their own right, sounds like they're from two completely different tracks. The guitars were more in the back and a bit muddy compared to the crisp, reverbed drum loop.

You did set a good mood for the piece, I really liked the sitar-like drones, but we need some more interpretation considering the sheer length of the track. Vary up your stuff, trim the fat and try to carefully balance original ideas with recognizable source, straight or arrangement. You definitely show some promise.

NO(resubmit)