Liontamer

ReMixer name: Chinballz

e-mail: Hellmeppo_92@hotmail.com

Game: Mirror's Edge

Song name: Still Alive - Main theme

Remix name: Still Alive / Leap of Faith remix

Composer: Lisa Miskovsky

Additional:

This song is just beautiful, and I couldn't resist remixing it. Simple as that.

------------------------------------------------------------

Still Alive - The Remixes - (01)

I know it's a club piece, but the intro/buildup was too long, IMO. Then again, there's enough source usage overall, so that's just a personal preference with no bearing on the vote. The source tune could be involved earlier even with this lengthy a buildup.

Once things picked up at 2:43 after the Faith voice sampling, both the genre adaptation and synth design were extremely by the numbers and vanilla. It's not bad, it's just as not as fleshed out and sophisticated an interpretation as it should be. The other Js will be able to elaborate more on what wasn't quite clicking. This was a decent base, and I'm not saying the sounds are terrible, but you need more sophisticated sonic textures, and the treatment of the theme could be way more interesting.

NO (resubmit)

The track is very repetitive without varying the melodic content or backing much. The main groove sounded a bit flimsy to me, bassdrum especially, that's important for a club track to nail. The buildups/dropoffs were short and crept close to the same formula used throughout the entire track. The synths weren't bad but they lacked depth and came off as simple-sounding. Mixing in general lacked power and bass. The low notes on the piano muddied up the lower mids a bit too, try scaling that back.

Overall the arrangement and production both felt vanilla. You can evolve this much more in both areas. Try getting more interpretive with the source, use some of the verse sections, and polish up those sounds. Check out bLiNd's stuff for a good example of polished club productions that also handle the source in a good way. Nice base though, keep it up!

NO(resubmit)

Is it me, or is this mix way too heavy on the high end? Doesn't seem to be any bottom end here to speak much of...

Not a lot to say, other than while this isn't a bad track, there's a lot of work that could/should be done. I'll leave you with a couple tips, but try to make proper use of the WIP forums etc in the future and you can address certain things before it hits the panel.

As I stated, the mixing seems really too hot on the highs, not enough lows. The piano was particularly rigid, and seemed a bit sloppy at times. The trademark supersaw-thing lead was pretty generic, and added a kind of harshness that ended making the mix sound overly flimsy and under-developed. If it weren't exposed so much, that would have helped.

Better luck next time, keep at it!

NO