Contact Information:

Remixer name: AriesT

Submission Information:

Game arranged: Terranigma (SNES)

Song arranged: Resurrection Theme

Arrangement's name: Rising Worlds

Original:

Comment:

I wanted to create a dark and moody atmosphere at the beginning which merges into an epic temper in the final climax. The remix is quite close to the original because I wanted to enlarge it, not completly re-write it.

This track was made in 2008 and the production time was 2 weeks - not including previous brain storming time.

I only used Cubase and Kontakt 2 because I cannot afford more. I'm sorry for this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ts - "Open the Door" (ts-09.spc)

The sequencing, particularly the strings (e.g. 1:22-1:44), needed refinement to sound more realistic. The drum usage starting at 2:10 didn't fit within the track's texture; should have sounded a lot more spacious and less centered, IMO.

Texturally, it felt like the 1:22-1:44 section was missing something to glue things together and drive the piece forward; maybe another J can elaborate on that.

Once the source melody kicked in at 2:08, the track basically felt like it was over. Some of the supporting instrumentation changed up, but the melodic arrangement was repetitive and the dynamics weren't particularly varied or interesting. I'm not ignoring the dynamic contrast that was there (e.g. changeup at 1:22, dropoff/instrument change at 1:45), it just wasn't particularly pronounced as implied in the writing. Work on making the changes in the energy level and pacing more interesting.

I know the source theme is short, but we've had ReMixers successfully do more with less because they can get creative & interpretive with the variations. See what you can do with the tempo, with the rhythms, with the instrumentation, etc., to not make the track feel so repetitive in your handling of the source. Keep at it, bro.

NO (resubmit)

I'm assuming this is the remix - link removed.

*edit* Larry posted the submission, they were in fact the same track, but I gave it a fair listen just the same. [/edit]

I'm a bit surprised that we have not one, but TWO Terranigma remixes on the panel, and they're both tackling the same source. I'm torn, because on one hand, I'm so glad to see Terranigma get some love, but on the other, I'm disappointed that the remixers chose only this track. It's a fine track, but as I said in my other vote, it's going to be an uphill battle to convince me that you can take this 11 second loop and make it stand on it's own. It's doable, but just being frank, short of a formidable amount of creativity and insight, quite unlikely (see Zelda OoT: Windmill Hut).

After listening to the mix, I'm still convinced I'm right. After a :53 second original intro, the harp comes in verbatim, and I'm just not really sure where there is for you to go after that. You made an effort to add a more epic vibe to the short riff, and I applaud your efforts, but unfortunately, I feel like you can't really effectively get much more than a minute or so's worth of interpretation out of this (starting after the intro I mean) because Larry's right, I think you sort of ran out of ideas at about 2:08 where it's just sort of left on cruise control until the (very poorly done) fadeout.

The instruments are pretty SNES-ish, even with free soundware you can get a better sound; people like Nutritious, Darkesword, and Ziwtra are good examples of that.

Sorry for the no-go, I'm definitely glad to see more people tackling Terranigma music. I hate to sound like I'm so biased against this track; I promise I'm not at all. I'm just pointing out that it's a small, distant target to hit (by OCR's guidelines) if this is the ONLY source tune you plan on incorporating into your remix.

Otherwise, you did manage to capture the nostalgia of the game, and for that I salute you. Better luck in the future, Timo!

NO

Going to keep it short because Larry and Jimmy elaborated a lot. The instruments sound a bit muffled and low-quality. The sequencing is holding them back, it's stiff and could be more dynamic. The arrangement shows how hard it is to work with a simple source, you need a more interpretive take on the theme to get through. You're also repeating a lot of motifs without really evolving. The drums (when they enter) lack power and sound distant too.

Sorry man but this would need a lot more polish before I could comfortably pass it. Take some time to check out other OCReMixes and compare them to the source to see what you can do to flesh it out. Good luck!

NO