Palpable

Contact Information

Haohmaru

Milton

ID 29064

Submission Information

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Marble Zone, Icecap Zone

I've been lurking on OCRemix for a while (years), too shy to really participate. Submitting a song is worse than asking a girl out! So even though I've been mixing for a while, this is my first crack at the OC. Yeah, yeah, I chose the two most popular Sonic songs, but hey, they're popular for a reason... (dead horses make the glue that binds us all!!) Hopefully you'll find my melding of the two themes to be original, and my mixing style unique. I come from an Alabama Southern, Prairie Home Companion, dirty classic rock, minimalist hip hop, chunky groove beat kind of background -- so I like my mixes to-the-point, in-your-face, gooey, and thick. Deuces!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=36 - Marble Zone

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

I liked what was going on here, but it felt uncohesive. The Marble Zone melody stacks on the Ice Cap melody pretty well, but there's vast chunks of this song like the intro and outro that don't really fit or flow. I guess also when the song is only 2:15, it hurts to have such big parts that aren't VGM-based. Also, what is happening at 1:12? :puppyeyes: Can't say I liked that.

Otherwise, I think the approach is kinda cool. You used the lesser-used parts of the Marble Zone and Ice Cap melodies, which was interesting. This may need some rework to meet OCR criteria for passing.

NO (resubmit)

There are some definitely cool ideas here, but a lot of the production is really strange. The dude in the beginning vocal clip was right when he said to turn down the treble. Some of the notes in that early synth were rough, and then the sawmill static feedback was excruciating. :-(

Arrangement-wise, there were some cool additions that really kicked up the rhythmic aspect of the tracks, and I dig that a whole lot, but I think some sections added with more of the melodic aspects of the mixes would make this feel stronger and more expanded upon.

This could make it, but it's going to need a little more work. I suggest hitting the WIP forums, or possibly checking in with a judge 1-on-1 to get this tightened up, because there are some good ideas here, it just needs a stronger execution.

no

Like previous posters I really liked some of the ideas. The broken beat, the deliberate pacing and strange blend of sounds. On the downside though the mix was unbalanced with some really loud/treble heavy elements (bells, synth lead). The dissonance was sometimes a bit too much, try to scale down on that in favor of more obvious source usage.

Arrangement had the rhythm going for it but not much else. More overt usage of the melody, preferably slightly arranged, together with one or two counter melodies would definitely kick the arrangement up a notch. Right now, it's a bit lacking when it comes to source and interpretation.

Overall, you show some promise but the track is very rough around the edges. Keep improving, check the WIP boards, #ocrwip and other music forums for help on doing that and I'll see you again here soon!

NO