contact info

remixer: LITHE

user id: 25772

submission info

game: Sonic & Knuckles

song: Sky Sanctuary zone

name of remix: Sanctuary of Rock

comments...

Nothing gives me more nostalgia than the original Sonic tunes. Memories of spending hours after school, making a blue hedgehog run though a roller coaster track.

I have been working on this remix off and on for about two years. I started off with updating the original midi file with a free guitar soundfont and some synths and samples that came with FL Studio. The more software and equipment I got, and the more I learned about composing music, the better the remix got.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Sky Sanctuary"

This was actually a pretty cool arrangement at times, and I liked the modifications taken here. The chorus was a little weird sounding because of the placement of the crashes and the alteration of the piano riff, but the rest was good. The biggest problem is the mixing is very rough, too rough for us to accept, IMO. There's too much battling for space. Overall, the playing/sequencing could also have been tighter. If those things were fixed, this would be pretty solid and might be a pass.

NO (resubmit)

overall this has a pretty nice garage feel to it, but there are a lot of frequencies that are stepping on each others' toes, mainly due to the drums. It sounds like the kick is really reverbed and mooshy, as opposed to a crisp and punchy attack this style of music needs.

The snare is equally smeared, and I can totally tell the sound you are going for, but it's just not there. Part of it is too much reverb, so reduce that a bit and see how it fits in the mix better.

I was fine with all of the playing, and though the sequencing could be a bit more refined; via velocities, i think it checked out alright.

I had a similar situation with one of my earliest mixes, where the drum sounds weren't working at all. I put it aside for awhile, worked on some other mixes, and then came back to it after my skills had improved, and eventually it made it's way onto the site. You definitely have some talent, so I suggest either working on the production for this, or taking a break, try out another mix, and then come back to this one. :-)

no

Like previous judges already stated, the main issue lies in the production. Drums are really loud, almost clipping or at least a bit distorted. The piano sounds fake and a bit plinky, could definitely work if it sounded more realistic though. Guitars sounded quite good sound-wise but they all fought for the same freqency range, where the drums also reside.

Arrangement was pretty cool with some good additions and slight variation in the playing. The playing was actually really good too, you just need to focus on making the mix clean and balanced. Keep it up!

NO(resubmit)