*NO* Super Mario 64 'Bowser's Awakening'

Palpable

Hi Judges, PrototypeRaptor here with something a bit different from my previous submissions.

I've been big into film music ever since I was a kid, especially the epic sounds created by John Williams, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, etc, etc

So, when I first heard the final battle music from Super Mario 64 I knew it had the potential to be a scene straight out of a movie. The harpsichord, the totally evil melody - it was absolutely perfect for a summer blockbuster.

Even the one liners were great - so long, gay bowser! (or something like that) And who can forget that upwards moving, creepy guy bowser laugh?

Well, several years later and after many months of fighting with software, here is the action cue for that battle scene. Mario and Bowser face off for the final time over that pit of lava - and there can only be one.

link to remix:

source:

Thanks for listening, hope you enjoy!

-Jonathan Paulsen (PrototypeRaptor)

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12246 - (32) "Ultimate Koopa"

Not sure why that T2 motif was in there for 32 seconds, but that actually managed to take me out of it for the beginning; I'd say take it out or alter it. Also, the production was ass. :lol: Sorry, man, I dunno how it ended up sounding like this, but I had to listen to other tracks just to make sure my headphones hadn't broken. This was so compressed, lo-fi and distorted, it needs to be put through a car wash so it sounds a lot cleaner. Definitely unacceptable to post as is. The string & brass sequencing sounded like it could have used some work for the note movements to sound less mechanical, but the poor production tended to obscure that.

You got a good foundation, but I dunno how this encoding made it past your ears. Maybe they were fatigued or you flipped the wrong switch somewhere, but you better spit polish this, refine the sequencing and send it on back. Good base though, Jon, so this hopefully shouldn't need too much more work to fly high.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Larry that the weaknesses here are production clarity and sequencing. It sounds like you are pushing things too hard or something, but it's lacking any sort of brilliance.

The arrangement, however, is rockin, and very creative. Great expansion on the theme, and some good original writing as well. Instruments were well chosen and i'm not as concerned as Larry is about the use of the "T2" rhythmic motif.

Polish up that sound and let's hear it again. :-)

no, resub

i'm not as concerned as Larry is about the use of the "T2" rhythmic motif.

My fault, I should have clarified, I'm also a bit put off by the usage because of part 3-3 of the standards:

3. Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.

IMO, the T2 riff really doesn't need to be there (at least, for 32 seconds worth) and I think it should be tweaked, but if this were just fixed on the production side with that issue left intact, and the Js said YES, I'd live.

My fault, I should have clarified, I'm also a bit put off by the usage because of part 3-3 of the standards:

IMO, the T2 riff really doesn't need to be there (at least, for 32 seconds worth) and I think it should be tweaked, but if this were just fixed on the production side with that issue left intact, and the Js said YES, I'd live.

SHOW THAT NOOB WHO'S BOSS!

Regarding the track, I didn't think it was horrible and I'm on my mixing headphones and my ProTools soundcard.. However it was crowded, very compressed and could be cleaned up. The sequencing was a bit mechanical, especially the low strings. Try not to hard-quantize everything. But overall though, make it rumble less :(

I thought the arrangement was pretty wicked though except the borrowing. If you sort out the issues this is a really good track. Keep it up and resub this!

NO(resubmit)