Building a Recording Studio

TheKrow

Okay, so, this week I was informed by my school's orchestra director that our school's music program might receive a grant of 25,000$. What he wants to do is build a recording studio inside of the school to be usable by the students and members of the community. He plans to make it free for those who don't have any budget, so anyone or any band that wants a chance to get somewhere, can.

I think it's a great idea and so does everyone else. The problem is, he doesn't know all the equipment we'll be needing, or which brands we should go with.

If anyone can contribute what they know about the basic equipment (like mics, a mixer, etc) for setting up a recording studio it would help a lot; provide links if possible.

I'm not sure how much will be possible with 25,000$, but any input will be greatly appreciated.

Instrument mics - Shure sm57's

Uh, that's all I can really think of off the top of my head; most of the other stuff should be personal preference like what DAW to use. FruityLoops and Reaper are both cheap DAW solutions and definitely give you more bang for your buck. There's the pricier Cubase and the extremely expensive ProTools, but ProTools would take a mac computer which would cost even MORE than ProTools.

Still, it IS $25,000...

Our school had $10,000 to put a studio together and they did an amazing job. I don't remember what all they used, but one of those studio-ready Macs with Logic, the SM57s for sure but you also need ribbons and condenser mics. We had a medium sized cabinet filled with MOTU racks and of course the sound proofing.

That Logic was incredible, btw. I'd definitely recommend that.

Okay, so first you have to answer some questions.

1. What kind of things will you be recording?

2. What kind of computer will you be using (or will you be buying one specifically for this)?

3. How many inputs do you want?

You said this was for the school's music program. Can I assume you will be recording band/orchestra literature? Or will there possibly be rock band type things?

I've spent over 25k on my recording business, so you have to narrow it down to what you want to do and how.

Oh yeah I don't know how you got the idea ProTools requires a Mac. It doesn't. And I wouldn't go Mac for a number of reasons personally, least of all budget. ProTools is not a requirement for a build of this nature either.

Well I was bored so here. I just built a general-purpose studio package. There might be some holes or unneeded items, it just depends on the reasons for the studio.

In this system, you have the option of running the HD24 recorder remotely. Otherwise, it functions as the ADA converter for the computer, through the M-audio Lightbridge. The Yamaha mixer provides the front end, for up to 24 mics. All accessories needed are there I think. The mic selection is mostly general purpose mics that I think is a well-rounded group. No ribbons, because putting ribbon mics in the hands of younger students is, well, stupid (I don't let anyone handle mine, at all). I've included some software plug-ins but I'm not totally hip on them - I hardly use effects not in Sonar already.

There is some money left over to get random stuff or more accessories. You might just be able to squeeze some active PA speakers in there for live sound. You could also shave some money off by buying cables from a cheaper place, such as www.audiopile.net (this is where I get all my cables).

If the program wants to hire a consultant to run the build give them my number. It's on my website - www.oceanstarproductions.com. My equipment list is also available there.

Anyway, here is the shopping list from Sweetwater.com:

studiolol.png

Thanks a lot for all that info Corran, big help; a lot of what I was looking for in feedback. I realize there would be more ways to cut down some money on some equipment and there may even be some we won't need, however renovating and soundproofing a space also comes out of the budget. For that, I don't even have a rough estimate of how much it will cost, but we do a have a fairly large space with concrete floor and walls that can built on which is where we're planning to build it. Although at this point, lots of things are up for change.

Oh and to answer questions:

1. I'm assuming it's any kind of musical recording including band/orchestra.

2. I've yet to find out, still have to discuss. For the sake of budget, it will probably be a PC.

3. Still need to figure this out as well, but probably at least 15 or so. For band or orchestra, it's possible to record one section at a time (i.e. brass, strings, reeds, etc.)

3. Still need to figure this out as well, but probably at least 15 or so. For band or orchestra, it's possible to record one section at a time (i.e. brass, strings, reeds, etc.)

Please don't do this. That's not how classical music should be recorded. In reality you should be able to use 2-4 mics in the audience and then MAYBE spot mic one or two sections, for a total of 8 tracks or less.

Yes I forgot about building the room, but for a budget-minded build you probably could get away only spending a couple thousand on absorption panels and bass traps.

Please don't do this. That's not how classical music should be recorded. In reality you should be able to use 2-4 mics in the audience and then MAYBE spot mic one or two sections, for a total of 8 tracks or less.

This makes sense. I've never actually seen/been informed of ways to record an entire band or orchestra so I wasn't really sure.

Did you recommend Cubase because... that's what you recommend; or did you because you use it yourself? I've never really used it so I'm not too sure about how it is in the studio. I use FL Studio myself, and it's very easy to work with for what I do, but trying to record in it is usually painful so I wouldn't use it for recording. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Actually I use Sonar, which I added to that list. Cubase is popular so I threw it on there. And of course ProTools comes with the MBox2. So that gives some variety basically. I think having a few choices is good in an educational setting.

I didn't know FL Studio actually had recording functionality. However, suffice to say that's not really its intended use. Definitely use a dedicated recording DAW rather than a music synthesis platform.

Shipping and tax on that will be a bitch.

No tax from an online retailer (unless he just happens to be in Indiana), and Sweetwater supposedly ships free, but with such a large order they might not. Of course, with such a large (profitable) order, perhaps they would. Regardless, it would likely just take a truck to get it there and would be a flat fee (and would depend on the location of the OP's school).