Tetris remix

wizzenberry

Hey i am a beginner re mixer

any chance you guys could give me some constructive criticism on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6l0FWB_gIE&fmt=18

thanks a lot

all will be appreciated

First of all...

I don't mean to sound rude, but... you should get rid of "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger."

You should learn to how to make music, not make mashups (mashups= mashing songs together)

But the song HBFS doesn't match Tetris in terms of chords at all. You had some great stuff going, but HBSF pretty much drowned out and ruined the great stuff you had going under it.

You should learn to how to make music, not make mashups (mashups= mashing songs together)

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. When they're executed well mashups can be awesome. I would never say that someone who utilised existing material and mixed it creatively wasn't a musician; in fact, it takes a lot of musicianship to create something inventive and original from bits of other songs. Mashups are still music- he's still making music here.

Howeeeevvverrrr, Neblix is correct in that the HBFS is far too out of place, it isn't even in the same key. You had some cool ideas, couldn't you perhaps record your own vocals and mash it up? Also, it kept waaaaay too close to the source. I liked the vocal mash up however it just felt too out of place. Would be interesting to see what you did with more original stuff.

in fact, it takes a lot of musicianship to create something inventive and original from bits of other songs.

I don't really mean to call him out or make fun of him or say he has no skill, but isn't that more reason he should learn to compose his own parts? I mean it's his remix, he can do what he wants,

but he said he is a beginner, I'm just offering some advice that says that he should become a better musician by composing his own stuff (not original compositions, maybe just original parts for remixes like this) before doing something as challenging as a successful mash up.

I never said he HAD to, I said he should. :P

:tomatoface:

And BTW I didn't say mash-ups weren't music, like I explained above it's better for a musician to develop through composing his own material. In my opinion, anyway, because in my experience that was what helped ME develop as a musician. The more I kept starting new songs and making parts for them, the more I came to understand how they were to fit together. Plus I have Shariq. He's not my teacher, just sort of a guy to ask for advice. It's always nice to ask around the more experienced people and try out their techniques for yourself, and mend it into your own style. In my case, I'm sort of branching out from Shariq's style. If you want to be completely self taught, you should also listen to music (besides video game music).

But people can learn from mashups too, but it helps to know some music theory before doing a mashup. Knowing basics like key, tempo, and time signatures are essential. I never learned from mashups, and I can't imagine learning time sigs/tempos/chords/keys from them, but hey- everyone's different.