*NO* Fighters Destiny 'Who's Laughing Now'

Palpable

Remixer Name - Jae

Real Name - James Clyburn

User ID - 29277

Name of Game Arranged - Fighter's Destiny

Name of Individual Song Arranged - Joker's Room

System - Nintendo 64

Comments - Well, I wanted to try my hand at remixing a song from a game that was never super popular. "Fighter's Destiny" isn't a name that sticks out as much as "Street Fighter" or "Tekken". In fact, I couldn't even remember the title of the game until I ran a search of some of the characters last year.

Besides most of the characters, one thing I remember the most about the game is "Joker's Room". It's been in my head ever since I played the game many years ago, and it is the reason why I wanted to search for the game again.

Now, I've taken the source material and added my own spin to it by slowing it down while hopefully maintaining the song's intensity. It was an interesting task considering this is my first serious attempt at this, and I really couldn't have completed it without some very helpful suggestions. Since it is an unfamiliar song to an unfamiliar game, I really didn't expect anyone to listen to it in its WIP stages. Luckily, they did, and they helped me out a great deal.

I hope you all enjoy it. I had a lot of fun with this, and I appreciate your feedback! ^.^

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The arrangement was pretty good, though it may have been light on Fighter's History melodies; I was finding it hard to break down how much source was used. But some of the production issues are dealbreakers, including the realism of the strings and some of the panning choices. I also think there was a general issue with filling the soundscape. I'd recommend listening to professional music with the same instrument set and see how it is produced to try to get a more balanced, orthodox sound. Sections of this are quite nice, so keep at it.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of a similar intro riff threw me off at first, but the chords check out in the main section, and the acoustic guitar variation treatment of the riff is pretty cool. The source certainly doesn't jump out though, so it might be a good idea to revisit and add in a little bit more dominant source. Melodically I get it, but I think making a few references to the rhythm guitar part would help, even if you just did it briefly. The general feel was good, but it was held down by the main issue, which was production.

While the samples aren't terrible (except for the strings), they sound mechanical in a lot of spots, and could use additional humanization. The guitar is pretty good in most spots, but the piano is really lacking velocities. Mixing felt empty in a lot of sections, and the super hard panning of some elements, like the high hat and bass, didn't work. The drums were pretty wimpy sounding as well.

So I like the arrangement and instrument choices, and you definitely have an ear for writing good original stuff, but there are a lot of production issues. If you have any specific questions, hit me up on aim, i'd be happy to help you out. :-)

no

• 2 weeks later...

Almost all of the melody in 0:41-2:51 is derived from the source, but I couldn't connect any of the guitar or piano stuff in the intro or outro. The handling of the source material was alright, and the integration with original material was pretty good, but this could definitely use more overt source.

I don't have anything to add about the production that hasn't already been covered, except that the track gets pretty crowded at the climax from about 2:40 on.

NO