*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Jenova's Boat Trip'

Palpable

My ReMixer name: larsdood

My real name: Lars Holdaas

My website: none

My userid: 25989

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VII

Name of individual song(s) arranged: J-E-N-O-V-A

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc:

More or less a dark/minimal tech-house remix of the Jenova Boss theme. I consider it to be a great piece even though it might be a tad too long for ocremix standards?

Title: Jenova's Boat Trip

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 214 "J-E-N-O-V-A"

I'm a huge fan of minimal house and this did not disappoint as far as that genre goes. Awesome beat, great attention to detail. Unfortunately, as sometimes happens with VGM arrangement of a repetitive nature, the 8-note riff really got overused, even though there was a lot of processing to ensure it never played the same way twice. This might not be so bad if the instrument it plays on was more subtle. Around the 4-minute mark, I wanted to hear some section that didn't use it, and I didn't get that until way later in the song. There may have also been an overuse of vocal clips, though I thought they were tastefully chosen and well integrated.

It's a close call for me, but I'm going to go NO. The J-E-N-O-V-A riff started to get difficult to listen to after so long on the synth you chose. This could swing the other way, and I probably wouldn't mind if it did, so best of luck to you.

NO (resubmit)

Production on this was really nice- cool sounds that worked well together, and nice crisp drums.

Arrangement was good, with some nice variation, but for every move that was made that improved the mix, I think one was made that brought it down. The section where the 8 note riff goes into a half time feel was really cool, and I liked that a lot, and a lot of the crazy super-delayed saw pads were great.

I do think the track went too long for OCR, as I think it was abut played out by the 2/3 mark, and the vocal samples were overused. I think a few of them are fine, but some just seem like they were added to pad out the track running time.

I'd suggest making a 'radio edit' of the track that trimmed it down a bit, and removed some of the vocal samples. It's close, but I feel the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.

no, please resub

I, like Palpable, am a HUGE fan of minimal house and techno. This track did bring some of that deliciousness to the table but it's lacking in a few areas and that's holding it back. With a track this long (even minimal house tracks) need more variation. You could do a LOT to change up that main melody but keep it within the context of a minimal house track. Layer some instruments from time to time, gate these, process with sudden bursts of reverb, change up the melody slightly, add a few small notes in the "gaps" between the melody to make it more rhythmic. You don't have to do all this but it feels like a lot of potential is lost at the moment. Overall some more subtle variation would help a lot, especially in the melody, bass and harmony. I thought the vocal clips were pretty cool but perhaps used a bit too much after all.

Production was overall good but I thought some of the sounds felt a bit thin and generic, like the track was lacking certain frequencies. I suggest comparing your mix to other minimal house tracks just to get a direct comparison to something else. I personally really like Boeoes Kaelstigen, although it's more minimal trance be sure to check them out!

Overall this shows a lot of promise. The groove is great and you're well on your way to have a really great minimal house remix here. However to groove with OCR I'd like to see some more fleshing out. Work on expanding the arrangement, maybe shortening the track down a bit and balancing the sounds a bit further. Good luck and keep it up!

NO(resubmit)