*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & FFXI Online 'Foresti'

Palpable

I agree, i'm not hearing Ronfaure in the slightest. What it sounds like the most to me, is the forest temple with very minor changes, like a little soloish run. It has plenty of other things added, but nothing that really embellishes the source itself. It's used as a backdrop for original writing, which can be good, but when the source is just a few chords, it becomes a stratch. The sounds used are lofi, but not really offensive. I might even say a little bland, though it was nice that you omitted the annoying noise that reoccurs in the forest temple source. There is a distinct lack of sonic depth, however, and it detracts from the overall presentation.

Overall I just see the arrangement as being too similar to the forest temple. There is some decent embellishment, but besides the chords, it doesn't use any other source.

sorry dude. :-(

no

• 2 weeks later...

The Ronfaure usage is pretty direct. The mix uses the second melody from the latter half of the original pretty much straight, with an extra repeat of the first few measures and a few minor pitch and timing changes. Compare 1:51-3:04~ in the mix with 3:05-3:55~ in the source. There's similar accompaniment as well, like the clarinet countermelodies at 2:25, 2:36, and 2:47 (3:27-3:37 in source), the descending figure played twice starting at 3:04 (mimics the chords starting at 3:55 in the source), etc. If you want to be generous, you could count the melodic fragments in 3:30-3:54 being loose melody usage too.

So, with that in consideration, the arrangement here is recreated Forest Temple in the beginning and end with some original piano and strings, and straight Ronfaure in the middle with a mix of original and adapted accompaniment. I still think this is too close to the originals overall.

Regarding the production, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the strings carrying 1:12-1:40. The fast runs in particular make them sound really fake. I don't theoretically have a problem with the depth as OA said, because I think it fits the mood, but I'm starting to get a bit of a headache from listening to this too much because all of the sounds occupy the high end. Filling out the soundscape more would be welcome.

NO

The Ronfaure usage is pretty direct. The mix uses the second melody from the latter half of the original pretty much straight, with an extra repeat of the first few measures and a few minor pitch and timing changes. Compare 1:51-3:04~ in the mix with 3:05-3:55~ in the source.

Since when are video game songs longer than one minute?? I thought they just looped after that. But seriously, thanks for the due diligence, 'Ili. The Ronfaure usage is definitely there and there is a little more arrangement in that section than the Forest Temple. However it takes some time to get there, starting with a simplification that just leaves out the bass part.

This doesn't change my vote though, nor would I imagine it changes OA's. The Forest Temple section is still too conservative, and though I didn't touch on the production, it comes across as unbalanced and indistinct. Sticking with my NO vote, sorry Adam.

After it's pointed out as such, I hear it, but damn, I didn't hear it at all prior. I am pretty familiar with the source too, which makes it weird. It does bring the track closer to the bar, but I do think that it still falls a bit short. I think mixing in some additional embellishment on the sources as well as improving the overall production (maybe some hifi pads to help even out the sound- halc and aeroz do well using a mostly lofi pallate with some hifi stuff mixed in, for example) would get this to where it needs to be.

Sorry, but i'm staying no