Special Editions of FFXIII

prophetik music

so, i'll admit it - i'm a horridly avid FF fan. i've played them all to some extent, and i've particularly enjoyed IV (never quite finished it), VIII, X, and XII. and dissidia, but i'm specifically talking about the major releases, not the 'alternates'.

FFXIII marks an occasion for me - it's the first time a FF game is coming out on a console i own (i played X and XII close to launch, but i didn't own the systems so i didn't buy them). i'd like to commemorate this by getting whatever mega-super-special pack comes out.

i own both the ps3 and the 360, but i'd like the ps3 version for a variety of reasons - namely, it was developed lead on a ps3, the upper end of the graphics is way higher on the ps3, i won't have eighty discs that could scratch, etc. so that's decided.

what i haven't heard is any official revelations on what special-edition packs will be released. i know about that ridiculously ugly 'lightning pink' console, which i wouldn't consider even if it wasn't horrifically ugly. but i'm definitely interested in getting whatever else is released around that time. i'm planning on getting the special-edition strategy guide, and probably the soundtrack (if it's not in the box). but beyond that is up in the air.

has anyone else heard anything about the special editions beyond that nasty pink thing?

Well to be fair here, Final Fantasy XIII(as all SE games using Crystal Tools) was developed for PC first, and then optimized for the PS3 and 360 hardware respectively once development was complete. Which is why it's so odd to me that they haven't mentioned anything about a PC release since basically every next-gen game they make already has a PC version now.

Egads I want that soundtrack.

Well they started Crystal Tools development after they were effectively "done" with the PS2, so anything pre-FFXIII would have to be redone for the PC, but as for FFXIII and everything after? Perfectly able to make PC releases no problem.

It's also interesting because this is the first time we'll see a Japanese developer creating their own next-gen dev tools, use them for multiple games, and license the tools out aside from Capcom and their MT-framework.