MIDI Channels.. Switching from CH.1 to CH.#?

SlapMagik

Bare with me if this seems confusing. I am using a M-Audio Keystudio 25, ever since I got the keyboard I have only been able to play it in Ch.1 MIDI. I sometimes use Spectrasonics Omnisphere in FL Studio. the synth is intensive and it can support up to 16 MIDI channels which is quite standard, and what I would like to do is to somehow make the Keyboard play a different MIDI channel in FL Studio or Omnisphere. for example like if I wanted to switch from MIDI CH.1 "Pad" to MIDI CH.3 "Burning Piano" (Omnisphere plays 8 instruments in one Plug-In/Channel). Basically I want to make it so I can control other instruments assigned by other MIDI Channels

Do I change the MIDI channel in the FL studio interface, or do I have to somehow switch it on the keyboard/controller?

If i can make it possible for live playing, that would be cool, but I think I want "project". I was looking at MIDI out. I am still having trouble on making it convert my keyboard's default channel to another. I'm getting the feeling what I'm trying to achieve cannot be done with this "Keystudio 25" controller.

The live playing method is a bit more difficult, I'm not entirely certain on that one, but as for in a project it's quite easy and it has nothing to do with the midi keyboard so don't worry about that.

What you want to do is go into the wrapper for Omnisphere (the gear symbol thing if you're using FL 9) under the settings tab, set the Midi input port, you can set it to whatever you want really.

Now make a new midi out and set the port in there to the same thing. For each channel of midi you want to control in omnisphere (each instrument inside the one plugin) all you do is make another midi out with the same port and set the channel to match up with the instrument in Omnisphere. This may sound a bit complicated at first, but just try to work through it slowly.

DAWs generally aren't good for live performance (except, obviously, Ableton Live), especially if you're using more than one virtual instrument. There are other products out there that are much more designed for this: Brainspawn Forte, Native Instruments Kore, and others. If you're only using one instrument, and that instrument makes it easy to call up different sounds, a DAW will work fine, but as soon as you start mixing VSTs, DAWs start to make it really difficult to get what you want without a lot of pain.