*NO* Light Crusader 'Thou Shalt Beat Them!'

Palpable

Hi There,

I am submitting this arrangement. It's the track Beat Them! from the Sega Genesis Action RPG Light Crusader made by Treasure. I found the music catchy enough to make an arrangement for it. I couldn't choose, so i started with this one. I got inspired by various sources like Castlevania and The Black Mages.

I hope you enjoy it.

-Washudoll-

More game information can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Crusader

Contact information:

Remixer name: Washudoll

Email: Washudoll@gmail.com

Userid: 3331

---------------------------------------------------------------

I love the personalization applied here, even though the song follows the original really closely. This song jumps between styles and it matches the frantic pace of the original, which is itself a weirdly structured song. Very powerful drums! I was split over whether there was enough difference from the original, but the production tipped me towards me a NO, unfortunately. Nothing majorly wrong here, but the strings could sound a lot more realistic, and the vocal parts sounded weak. With an arrangement that adds more original parts like you did in the second half, and a tighter production, this could pass.

NO (resubmit)

Not sure what vox you heard, Vinnie. Maybe you meant faintly in the background around 2:21, but that sounds like an EP or something that's definitely not vox.

Love the source tune, which I've never heard before. Shnabubula could really do a number on this one. The Genesis has a lot of undiscovered gems when it comes to soundtracks.

The drums here were...interesting. The tone didn't quite mesh with the rest of the instrumentation and the volume wasn't balanced with the other sounds, IMO. I would have pulled them back a bit, but it's not a big deal. Otherwise, I loved the writing on them though; very energetic. The instrument chageups throughout the track were jarring on the first listen, but I'll live. I totally understand where Vinnie was coming from with it fitting the frantic nature of the track.

The piano sequencing at 2:02 sounded too quantized and unrealistic. The strng sequencing also could have sounded a bit more natural with the timing, but sounded a lot better than the piano. The last drum hits and organ at 3:18 for the finish sounded way too trite & corny. IMO, just ending it with the string, organ and piano up until 3:18 was strong.

Arrangement-wise, this was a pretty cool conservative mix to listen to. Aside from 1:44-2:03 and the ending, however, I wasn't picking up more overall interpretation, so I would have liked to have heard more. Even with stuff as varied and complex-sounding as the drum rhythms, those were basically carried over intact from the source.

I'll actually go further than Vinnie in saying that there needs to be more interpretation, even though the overall performance was pretty cool. That said, the production issues with sample articulations do hold it back as well. The final product doesn't drammatically lack in either arrangement or production, but I'd say the arrangement needs more ideas and changes to creatively stand apart from the original, and then the sequencing could use some tweaks to sound more humanized. Not far off the mark, so I definitely hope you're willing to resubmit this piece, Dihaz; this is a good base.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Larry about the drum sound- it's mainly the snare that is a little dirty for the rest of the track. There are some better AD presets you can use that fit the tone better.

I think overall the sequencing of piano and strings is just a little too mechanical. Some humanization and additional velocity work would strengthen the piano, and adjusting some of the string articulations will help there. I also think adding more lead guitars would improve this, as they are pretty strong.

The arrangement is conservative, but i think if the production was improved i'd be ok passing it. A great start, and things were mostly clicking, but it needs just a little detail work.

no, please resub