Another chord-y remix - palp

Kento Khromatic

Kento Watanabe

http://www.youtube.com/kentokhromatic

User #: 29757

Remix Name: Report From the 20's

Remix of: Report from the destroyer

From game: Omega Five

Composer: Hiroyuki Iwatsuki (moniker: Iwadon)

This was originally a remix for the Iwadon remix compilation project at iwadon.com . I really tried to focus on development on this song, using a short victory theme and expanding it as much as possible while still making it sound unified and not "blocky". This has a jazz and ragtime-related rhythm feel to it but the feel and accompaniment changes itself up more like in sonatas.

- Kento

渡辺健人

Hoo boy, this is a remix of what is actually an INCREDIBLY short source loop. It's essentially a six-chord walkdown that lasts about 8 measures (though the progression itself only lasts 4 and is repeated twice with slight variation in the instruments).

So that leaves us with what sounds to me like a virtually original piece of music that is also centered on those six chords.

Bleh, I think this is a brilliant performance/arrangement, but so far I'm inclined to vote NO (regrettably) simply because the remix sounds virtually nothing at ALL like the source. I'm fairly certain that 99% of our listeners would not be able to recognize the source tune if they heard only the remix, even if they'd played the game, and to me, that's kind of the unfortunate deciding factor, stopwatch not even being taken into account. 1:07 - 2:58 doesn't even follow the chord structure, and based on the single source tune provided, I'd say it's 100% original with absolutely zero connection. The last section of the remix does seem to actually branch out and arrange what is the first 2 seconds of the source tune, and for what it's worth, I'd say it's relatively well done--the ending itself IS actually particularly obvious, but the rest of the remix just deviates much too far from any familiarity and recognition to the source tune.

Sorry to have to throw down a dissenting vote on this amazing piano piece, but it's just not quite what our site has in mind as far as a "ReMix" goes.

Our submission guidelins state that:

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.

* While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.

* The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

NO OVERRIDE

Bummer. Otherwise, thanks for your submission--I'd love to hear more work from you in the future!

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing that immediately stuck out is the the piano sequencing is poor. You're gonna have to spend time working on that, or your end result will always sound half-assed no matter how good the composition is. The completely unrealistic sequencing prevents you from really getting into the listening experience.

Source usage: :06-:10, :12-:17, :23.5-:25, 1:47-1:49, 2:29.5-2:32, 2:39.5-2:40.5, 2:55-8, 3:05.5-3:07, 4:04.5-4:07

As far as the arrangement, you've got me going off fumes. I'd try a deeper breakdown, but it's not worth the trouble, because like everyone said it's way too liberal to begin with. This is basically an original track inspired by "Report from Destroyer" with little cameos of the theme sprinkled in. Sorry bro, this one's just not for us. I'd also say spruce up the production/realism for the piano before it goes on any album. This isn't good enough sound quality, just being real.

Backing up the NO Override.