*NO* Pokémon Red Version 'Hope to See You Again Soon...'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer names: ProtoDome, Level 99

Userid: 25246, 13318

Name of game arranged: Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow

Name of song arranged: Pokémon Center

Original Composer: Junichi Masuda

Okay, this is late and Stevo will kill me if he finds out I’ve submitted this three weeks after he asked me to. ^___^ Anyway- this is another track for the Pokémanz project in a similar style to the other one I sub’d. I thought I’d go for a cool, laid back, smooth jazz feel and make the chord pattern more interesting than just switching between the tonic and the dominant. The vocal bits were kinda silly and fun, however they mesh with the sound well. As you’ll hear, Stevo has done a killer guitar part to go with it and it really fits the whole thing perfectly. Nothing else more to say really, enjoy.

Original Sound Track:

In my opinion, there isn't a single song on the Pokemon soundtrack that's any good. The pokecenter theme is no exception. You were wise to try to change it up and make it unrecognizable, but when you're doing that, you might as well write a better melody and make it your own song.

So the major issue with this tune is that it is..laid back. The problem with this is that it's pretty consistently laid back, and there's really no dynamic progression. When you consider that there's nothing memorable about the source, you're making it really hard for yourself to make a memorable remix.

The vocoding was cool; maybe do more with that.

NO

Wow, Vig, a lot of vitriol for a guy who stated opinions for the majority of his vote. I'm not really a fan of the Pokemon soundtrack either, but maybe a little bit of objectivity is required for judging tracks? Let me go on record saying that your vote is one of the worst I've seen since I've been judging.

The intro is a bit extended overall for such a short track, but I am enjoying the vibe. Seems like not a ton of source though..

0:11-0:30 is the A source section chord progression with some harmonic bits voiced in the guitar.

0:31-0:50 is the melody in the vocoded voices

0:51-0:53 reference to the main melody in the piano

0:54-2:16 a lot of cool noodling, but no really dominant use of source. There are some very distinct cameos, but overall I don't think there was enough source melody.

2:17 Happy ending ^__^

Production is solid overall, though I think the guitars can be a little more forward. I enjoyed the sound choices, and with the exception of some of the piano runs, the sequencing was good.

Unfortunately, the arrangement seems to feature way too much original material for the short length. I think the adjustments made to the melody were fantastic, and I love the track, but it's not enough dominant source.

If I'm missing something obvious in regards to the source usage, let me know, but as is, I gotta give this one the No

I really like the mood and instrumentation of this. Vocoding was creative and mellow, and the guitar/piano combo really works. There might have been one too many sections where there wasn't much of a focus, but overall, as a short mood piece, I was groovin'. But I do have to agree with OA that the source usage is pretty much non-existent. Maybe we're wrong about this, and feel free to call us out on it via PM, but I'm barely hearing any Pokemon in this. 0:31-0:50 is pretty much everything I would count, bar a cameo or two.

Edit (2/10): I did miss the source usage from 1:12-1:40, though the melody has been somewhat altered there and it's not a strong tie. Counting it still only puts the usage up to 35%. Anything else, guys? It's still too liberal to me.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and join in then. You really tried hard making the source your own, probably too hard. While the track is groovy the original material outweighs the source and even if it wouldn't, the original material still has the front seat place. Beyond that production is good but the ending (half a fade-out? really?) is kind of weak. You could probably re-work this to better highlight the source and it'd be a pretty good addition to OCR but right now it's just too liberal.

NO