Newb questions

Galcian

Ok wow.. FL9 is really intimidating, but I want to learn it so bad.

I just have a couple things right now that are really hindering my progress. First, when I open up a Piano Roll and create something, I often want to add plug-in effects. For example, I'm trying to add Reverb to a string piece right now, but it applies the reverb to everything.. not the strings only no matter what I try to do. How do I use plugins and tweak sounds without effecting every single sample?

My second question is how do I add vibrato to a sample? Vanilla strings are just so.. bleh :(

Thanks for ANY help :)

Edit: If there's some sort of super great tutorial source, please direct me to it so I don't have to bug you guys =p Sorry but I couldn't find any tutorial sources on my own with good organization.

hmm i'm still using FL 8 so i don't if it changed or not but i'm guessing that you're applying reverb to the master FX channel, which applies the fx to every instrument in your song, uhhh you have to set the instrument to a different fx channel and select whatever fx you want..

I just found this, hope it helps to understand what i said:

http://www.thefruittree.info/index.php/how-to-add-effects-in-fl-studio/

Well hope any of this helps you out, i'm still new to FL but i know some stuff :-P

Ah nice. I haven't tried it out yet, but that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I think my problem is that the programs I've learned in the past (mostly video editing programs) are pretty self-explanatory, placing everything where you'd expect it to be. But it seems with FL9 that the most important buttons are often the these tiny little boxes along with the not-so important ones. I'm gonna need some tutorials :)

Anyway, thanks.

Vibrato is something you'd likely want to have added in the instrument, not through effects, you may want to invest in some instruments once you get the hang of things.

I had a feeling that was the case. Well, I found some samples with vibrato in them that I maybe could mix with non-vibrato samples (because having only vibrato would sound awful). Seems like a back-breaking process unless by 'invest in instruments' you meant there are pay-only samples out there, but I took it as making my own samples with real instruments.

Oh, I love it when I assume the wrong things.

Ok having issues again. The reverb is applying to all my samples again. I opened up the FX channel viewer and made sure no effects were in the master channel. Nothing was in the channel I was working with nor the 'selected' channel either. How can I still have this effect being applied to everything I click? It won't go away.

Ok, I'm sorry guys =/ It feels like this program is working against me, but I'll have to figure things out on my own. I mean, opening a new project gets rid of it, but then I have to start my project over.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll wade through it on my own from here.

• 1 month later...
Ok wow.. FL9 is really intimidating, but I want to learn it so bad.

I just have a couple things right now that are really hindering my progress. First, when I open up a Piano Roll and create something, I often want to add plug-in effects. For example, I'm trying to add Reverb to a string piece right now, but it applies the reverb to everything.. not the strings only no matter what I try to do. How do I use plugins and tweak sounds without effecting every single sample?

My second question is how do I add vibrato to a sample? Vanilla strings are just so.. bleh :(

Thanks for ANY help :)

Edit: If there's some sort of super great tutorial source, please direct me to it so I don't have to bug you guys =p Sorry but I couldn't find any tutorial sources on my own with good organization.

I'm not very good at audio on the technical side but what I do to add vibrato is to click the instrument in the track (the big block with the name of the instrument) so you get the channel settings window for it.

Go to the INS tab (instrument properties)

Click on the RES sub-tab

Where the wave is shown, below are a few knobs and you just move the AMT (amount) knob all the way up, and then play with the SPD (speed) to get your vibrato effect.

Clicking the TB and Global switches set your vibrato on time with the music which I think is more if you're doing a Dubstep "wub" sound.

Hope that helps.