*NO* Hang On 'Hanging On the Music'

Palpable

It sounds like the levels are slightly off in some cases, where the snare is a bit hot in some parts, and the leads slightly too quiet. Otherwise pretty decent, with some excellent soloing. The opening synth was mechanical and could benefit from a more natural sounding touch, but it was minor in the grand scheme of the track. Overall things seemed to be over compressed, and maybe call me crazy, but it sounded like the snare was slightly clipping on some hits.

The arrangement is really conservative, but has the solo and some minor structure changes. Overall it feels a little too close to the original source, and could stand to be more adventurous. There is a definite sound upgrade, and the guitar performance is really good, but between the very conservative take on the track, and the minor production issues, i'm going to have to give this one a no.

Not crazy about the intro, but once the guitar kicks in, this gets going. There's still something about the combination of synths and guitar never sits right the whole song. The synths are detached from the live instrumentation, and they sound low-quality compared to the rock. But otherwise, great guitar performances and I like the drumming too. Sonically, this was pretty tight, if a little bass-y.

Unfortunately, I think it's leaning too conservative. I caught a solo section (amazing stuff there btw), but otherwise, everything but the drums pulls from the original. Throw us some harmonies, some new synth or guitar lines, or a new section. This needs to position itself apart from the original more to meet OCR standards.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, the intro was awful in terms of the rigid sequencing. Beyond the genre adaptation, the arrangement was indeed pretty conservative, but the soloing over the theme was pretty cool. The drums also sounded too soft with a weak tone and not enough snap on 'em.

This sounds like something a young Sixto could have put together. The mixing could be cleaned up a bit, and you need to get more interpretive with the melodic arrangement, but this is on track to be something really cool. Keep working on it, and definitely try to resub this after some improvements. We could use more Hang On!

NO (resubmit)