Donkey Kong Country 2

* Name of individual song(s) arranged

Disco Train

* Your own comments about the mix:

It's on the DKC2 project. Bahamut told me to submit it to OCR

officially, so here I am.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Disco Train!!!!!

Cool backing synths and good energy, but there are a few choices made by the track that seem like it's not quite where it should be. The main saw synth you use for the melody needs some more presence, as it seems far back, and more suited to a supporting role, especially when the bass is super dry and up front by comparison. I think a lot of levels and sounds could be altered slightly to improve this overall.

The arrangement I thought was pretty rockin, however, and expanded well on the original. The added soundclips were pretty neat, and generally I liked the ideas. Not to be a downer though, but the ending was terrible. :-(

It just completely stopped mid-section with no reason behind it. Really weak, and i'd love to hear the rationale behind it.

While I think this is decent, the weird balance of sound and the ending make me feel this isn't quite ready for prime time.

no, please resubmit

The bass is pretty loud, maybe just trim out some of the low end. Other than that, the two things that strike me are that the beat is quite consistent...too much so in that I'm sick of it by the end of a relatively short song. I think the real problem is that the dynamic of the tune is pretty constant. Also, you need an ending. Good stuff though, nice synths, good arrangement ideas.

NO

I feel like this song holds back in some way. The ideas you've got going on are rich, but the execution isn't all it could be. I know what Vig's talking about when he says the dynamic is pretty constant. Amidst some sizable changes you've got going on - no one element stays the same throughout - the song feels like it's stuck in the same gear. Jump to any point in the song, and texturally it feels about the same. I will say that you make the most of it, incorporating some varied leads and a fun stop-start section towards the middle, but even that could have been more pronounced, and could have used some drastically different elements.

Surprisingly, I didn't mind the ending. I'm torn on whether this is a pass or not, so I'll give it some thought before making a final decision.

The arrangement was pretty conservative for the first few verses. Any melodic variation in the first few verses would really help this out. That said, it was expansive, so it generally gets the job done.

The generic sounding synths at :53, 1:19 and 2:29 dragged this down as far as the sound quality. Those were really thin, dry, exposed, vanilla leads. Just changing those to something more polished sounding would really take this to the next level.

2:36-2:48 sounded pretty messy as well, with a slightly off beat and mostly dry sounds.

Then ending was too abrupt and should have gone for maybe 2 more bars, or at least have something where the ending doesn't feel like a WIP suddenly stopped. I didn't mind the dynamic curve. Vinnie mentioned that the elements subtly changed throughout, which I also noticed, so I was cool with that. Really, I think you just need to polish up some of these sounds, follow the production crits of the other Js and get a solid ending in place to get this above the bar. Good stuff so far, John. Don't call this one a done deal, we're digging it so far.

NO (resubmit)