Maple Story - Kerning Street Disco (Kerning City ReMix)

Twitch

stats.png

Yaay! First ReMix people. I hope you like it! ;-)

It's a ReMix of the Kerning City music from MapleStory.

Waiting for the Judges' approval.

Lots of subtle changes going on. Like the bass getting fattened up. Also some teases in there. Like the piano part 2 bars before the key change, and then you're like.. Wait.. Shouldn't the piano part continue here? And then the key change comes in and you're like: Ahh! Tease! As the Piano part continues. (doubled with the organ of course)

Hey, could someone please put MapleStory in the title of the post so they know which game this is from before opening the post? I totally forgot that. That's what you get, and that's what happens man.

lots of neat stuff going on in here. the arrangment is fun but starts getting a little repetitive about halfway through. the biggest issue you have here is the mechanical piano sequencing - try editing the timing and velocities of individual notes to give it a more humanistic feel. your instruments here are a little on the vanilla side, kinda as if they came out of a keyboard soundbank, which is fine, but they lack personality. try playing with your FX and sample settings a bit more and you will come up with some unique sounds.

the mixing, while pretty clear, is a little harsh. i had to drop my volume a couple notches for this.

anyway, good work for a first remix! if you've already subbed this, be aware that you're in for a bit of a wait, and (not to be too direct here but) i would expect a resubmit. you definitely have the musical chops, just need to beef up those samples a bit and work on humanizing that piano.

oh, fixed the thread title for ya too :P

Okay. Good critisism. As for the mechanical piano, I aimed for a disco-feel, the piano sample is the (in)famous " Piano 8' " Dance piano from the Korg M1 heard on SO many albums from the 90's. It's not really supposed to be realistic.

Dancable, extended groove. That's what I call this song.

I love the samples because they have that retro feel to them. They sound good to me, although I admit I was being a little lazy on the overall mastering.

I played everything live, of course. It's never spot on though, so I have to rely on quantising.

Thanks for fixing the thread title. I appreciate it.

Okay. Good critisism. As for the mechanical piano, I aimed for a disco-feel, the piano sample is the (in)famous " Piano 8' " Dance piano from the Korg M1 heard on SO many albums from the 90's. It's not really supposed to be realistic.

Dancable, extended groove. That's what I call this song.

I love the samples because they have that retro feel to them. They sound good to me, although I admit I was being a little lazy on the overall mastering.

I played everything live, of course. It's never spot on though, so I have to rely on quantising.

Thanks for fixing the thread title. I appreciate it.

no problem, glad the feedback helped! just pointing out some of the things the judges are probably gonna get you for :P

I'm hearing WAY too much of the original. I've wasted more time than I'd care to admit playing Maple Story, and I can honestly say it needs much, much more variance from the original.

Also, the drums annoy the hell out of me. The only time they get interesting is for the weird roll that happens. Otherwise I hear a lot of hat, and that's about it. Disco drums aren't in-your-face either, but they're much, much more fitting for the songs they fall into.

This doesn't feel like disco (which generally has less choppy, more fluid soundscapes going on). The sticatto bass can work with disco, but only if you have everything else flowy and huge. I would recommend using the horns a little more heavily throughout, almost like backing chords from a guitar or piano. If this were something played live, the brass section is standing there idly for most of the performance right now, only being used for hits. I'd be a pissed off horn player, personally.

I would like to see a MapleStory mix on this site eventually, but I don't think this one's going to be it as it is right now.

EDIT: Didn't noticed the "finished" tag, my mistake. In the event of a re-submit, the stuff is offered for consideration.