Spruce

Hello, everybody. I wrote this little song today on my ukulele. I've been watching Mushi-shi and it's influence is pretty obvious. It's nothing impressive and pales in comparison to most stuff you find on here, but I think it's nice in its own simple, peaceful way. Enjoy. ^__^

stats.png

UPDATE: Even though I don't think anybody has listened to the original yet, I have made some changes. It hit me that this song is about the arrival of spring, and I decided that maybe I should put the song over the sounds of a spring shower, which just happened to be going on outside my window. I think it works. Let me know which version you prefer.

stats.png

Haha I like how you're trying to use your own atmosphere to bring the song out more. The recording quality hurts, that's for sure...I really like it though. I noticed in the first version there was some really faint humming, although a tad out of tune I preferred it to the rain that blends so well to poor mic recordings.

How are you recording your ukulele by the way? There may be a few recording tricks to improve that quality.

I looked through and listened to Bard Owl too, the owls made me laugh man haha but damn, there's something about these light textures that is really appealing to me. In this song everything gets stronger towards the middle and I can hear your technique improve whilst hitting a bum note or two, how long have you been playing? Sorry for going ahead and commenting on that one.

Anyway I prefer the first version, I totally think you should get in on that humming and see how soulful you can sound because it just blends so nicely with the ukulele sound.

edit - oh yeah I see you posted the barred owl song haha, my bad

Thank you for commenting!

Haha I like how you're trying to use your own atmosphere to bring the song out more. The recording quality hurts, that's for sure...I really like it though. I noticed in the first version there was some really faint humming, although a tad out of tune I preferred it to the rain that blends so well to poor mic recordings.

Yes, I noticed that the rain sounded like a bad recording, especially if you don't know it's rain. I'm considering just trying to get a better recording that sounds more distinct. The humming is in the 2nd version, just turned down because I didn't think it was very good.

How are you recording your ukulele by the way? There may be a few recording tricks to improve that quality.

We have some mics and a mixer set up for my job recording audio commentaries. I just played in front of it. I didn't mess with the mixer because I'm not the one who knows how to use it.

I looked through and listened to Bard Owl too, the owls made me laugh man haha but damn, there's something about these light textures that is really appealing to me. In this song everything gets stronger towards the middle and I can hear your technique improve whilst hitting a bum note or two, how long have you been playing? Sorry for going ahead and commenting on that one.

Oh I'm glad you listened to that one as well! I've had a uke for something like eight years but I really just started playing it frequently a year or two ago. It should be noted that Bard Owl is heavily layered, so it's probably not even as impressive as it sounds.

Anyway I prefer the first version, I totally think you should get in on that humming and see how soulful you can sound because it just blends so nicely with the ukulele sound.

Thank you for the advice. I didn't expect a proponent of the humming. I'll probably have another go at it at some point.