*NO* New Super Mario Bros. 'Plumber's Bane: II. Beyond the Point of No Return!'

Palpable

Hi Guys

Here is the new version of the second part of Plumber's Bane. I originally submitted it on April 19, 2009, but due to a non-video game source which Larry found fault with, I pulled the submission before it reached the judges. Here is a new version with a new ending, inspired by "New Super Mario Bros. WII".

Remixer: Random Hero

Song Title: Plumber’s Bane: II. Beyond the Point of No Return!

Game Sources:

-0:46-1:00 - Super Mario World - Bowser Battle

-1:01-2:06 - New Super Mario Bros. - Final Bowser Battle

-2:06-2:55 - Super Mario RPG - Smithy Battle

-2:14-2:29 - Super Mario World - Valley of Bowser

-2:30-4:22 - New Super Mario Bros. - Final Bowser Battle

-4:23-5:11 - New Super Mario Bros. WII - World End Castle Theme.

Other sources: -0:00-0:38 - Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Sound effects from the scene where Faramir sees a vision of he's dead brother, Boromir, lying in a boat as it flows down the river. Not actually music, though I did add some strings and timpani's over these effects)

Sequencer: FL Studio

Instruments: EWQLSO PRO XP Gold, Symphonic Choirs & QL Colossus.

Part way through the remix called "Don't Look Back!" which is the first part of a (so fat) 2 part song called Plumber's Bane (already submitted and on the site!), someone suggested I also try and remix the Final Bowser Battle music from New SMB. So part way through one remix, I started this one. “Beyond the Point of No Return!” concerns Mario’s battle with Bowser. Sort of like a climactic battle at the end of the movie, starting with Mario entering Bowser's chamber, the initial attack, battle and subsequent inevitable defeat of Bowser. But unlike in the game, the camera would remain focused on Bowser as he crawls out of the lava after his defeat, swearing revenge on Mario and the Princess (the last part of the song).

The plan is to continue the Plumber's Bane series, drawing on Koji Kondo's darker Mario related themes. Something I plan on doing is expanding the ideas put forward at the end of this song, and mixing in parts of the Castle Theme from SMW, which if you listen closely, you will see that the two theme are related.

This second part of Plumber's Bane is very different from the first. I used an actual standard type drum kit along with electric guitars, along with all the standard orchestral instruments I usually use. But like the first part, this song also includes bits of songs from outside New Super Mario Bros. including SMW, SMRPG, AND the new NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII. This is still to be considered a NSMB remix.

See you next submission!

Ryan

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMW Bowser Battle, NSMB Final Battle,

, SMW Valley of Bowser,

• 2 weeks later...

This one is chock full of various sources, but it's cool to see that they're all related in one way or another. There are a few times where the sources meld together, but for the most part you hear only one of the sources dominantly. While a lot of these are similar, making it easier to put them together this way, I'm a bit worried that things are floating with medleyitis. On the plus side, each source is arranged, the transitions are fairly smooth between each source, and there are sections of more original parts to connect or beef up the originals. On the minus is the fact that for the most part each section is separate, and you can tell when the new sections have started. I'm on the fence with this aspect.

It took me more than a few listen-throughs to try to work this out, but overall I feel like the track is lacking the energy that even your earlier work has. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why, but I think part of it deals with most of the sources being a bit more low-key which, when combined, doesn't add up to as much as I'd like it to be. Along with that there amount of transition time vs. melody is skewed a bit, so that the build-ups/lead-ins take a little too long, and there are a lot of them. In my opinion, I think that's what's hurting this the most, which is also one of the issues with medley's in the first place.

The LotR opening really isn't doing anything for me, aside from being some nearly-empty space before the track starts. I get that it's supposed to be a sort of foreboding opening, but it isn't working for me. I think the track would do without it. The sounds overall aren't terribly realistic, but overall they do work together pretty well. The organ feels like it is in the soundscape for most of the mix. After a while I was hoping for some other sounds to take over and give things a bit more variety. I also feel like the low end isn't as prominent as it could be, which would beef up the entire track.

I think that while there is a lot going on here that shows off your skill, I don't think this one quite cuts it. I'd focus on getting more variety out of your sounds as well as boosting the overall energy and focus of the track.

NO (resubmit)

What really struck me with this one compared to the (super excellent) part 1, was that the energy was really static after things got going. The main culprit i think is the drums, as the samples seem really flat and lacking depth, and the velocities being pretty static.

The guitar leads are good, and decently humanized, but they don't have any good rhythm backing, so there;'s not a lot of punch in the low end. Fishy and Nutritious had this same issue for a collab aw while back.

One thing that was really missing from this one that the first did very well was the massive crescendos and transitions. This one had some drum fills, but the beat itself was pretty similar throughout, minus the kick drum and tom breakdown, which was pretty nice.

I think arrangementwise this is great and where it needs to be, but the production issues are holding it back. I'd revisit it and see if you can give it some more punch.

no, please resubmit

Gotta agree with OA here, this sounds quite static when the drums and guitar come in. The patterns have little subtlety to them. The samples also aren't that strong for either of them, and they should be pushed further back into the soundscape with more reverb so that they match the vastness of the orchestral setting. The organ too could use some verb - lot of instruments sound too dry, too thin. As for claims of medleyitis, I wasn't too bothered there, but some of the transitions could be smoother.

Overall, solid arrangement on par with the first Plumber's Bane. The production and simplistic drum patterns make this a NO, unfortunately.

NO (resubmit)