*NO* Revenge of Shinobi 'Desert Shuriken' *FT*

Liontamer

Hi,

I have tried to submit this song about 3 times in last 4 years but it never even reaches you for some reason. This is my last try. Please spare some time and pass your judgement on this. I would like to continue doing this and needs some encouragement.

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: DJ Mystix

Your real name Mansoor Nazar

Your email address snake9677@yahoo.com

Your userid 11757 (mansoor)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged Revenge Of Shinobi

Name of individual song(s) arranged My Lover

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Composeer : Yuzo koshiro

System : Sega Genesis

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Original : http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/genesis/rshin-ct.mid

An arrangement of original:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure why this didn't make it to the inbox; something with your email must have been messed up, because as long as I've been doing the inbox, I've never seen this one before.

Revenge of Shinobi - "China Town"

Not sure why you said "My Lover" was the source, when you otherwise said "China Town".

The overall levels were definitely too quiet. Opening texture was interesting, albeit thin. The lead at :50 was too flimsy-sounding and too far back in the soundscape. The brass brought in at 1:06 & the guitar synth at 1:55 were super fake-sounding and exposed. 1:23 had some shakuhachi stuff that went over well with me, even though the sequencing was a little rigid.

Not sure what was being arranged from 2:40-onward, so I'd appreciate another J being able to let me know what that was. Seemed all original offhand.

From what I recognized in the first half arrangement-wise, you seem to be able to put together something decent. You need to improve your sequencing or get better samples with better articulations, and you need to improve your mixing/balance choices so the right sounds are prominent vs. supporting.

I wouldn't have passed this 4 years ago and the bar isn't much different now, in case you're wondering if it would have made it then. That said, this is put together better than maybe 75% of what's rejected, so keep at it.

NO

I'll second the overall-too-quietness, and I did like the texture, but it didn't seem deep enough, with a lot of the action happening in a narrow frequency band. Adding some higher and lower elements to give it some more interest would be cool.

The brass was pretty weak, and though it did lend a bit of 80's to the proceedings, it sounded awfully dry and cheap compared to some of the other elements. There was some care put into some of the articulations, but the sample wasn't doing you any favors. The lead synth tone itself was cool, but a little one-dimensional. I think really cranking up the modulation in some spots to give it more character would help, as well as some stereo delay.

The shakuhachi was awesome, i love that sound, and it meshes well with the rest of the track. The arrangement trends liberalish near the end, but overall i'm down with what was presented, my main issue is the sample and production use.

Nice stuff, but needs some polish.

no, please resubmit

I actually liked the synth tone at 1:55, and didn't think it was supposed to be guitar-y, but pretty much every other complaint listed in the previous votes pertains. Song is thin, that's probably my biggest problem. The arrangement is actually pretty well-written, lots of different parts that lock together nicely, but the production isn't as strong. Drums could be louder and heavier, the bass regions more filled on many instruments. The brass is a weak sample though reminiscent of the fake brass sound of the 80's. I also thought the beat, interesting as it was, started to wear towards the end. Alternating with another two measures with some slight changes, it probably would be fine.

I'd like to see another version. I was digging the yummy layers you used in this, and with stronger production, this would be rock solid.

NO (resubmit)