*NO* Super Mario Kart 'Koopa Beach'

Liontamer

This needs a real name if it passes - LT

Hello,

my remixer name is effinjerk

real name - Brian Effinger

email address - personal is brianeffinger@yahoo.com - work is beffinger@neversoft.com

website is myspace.com/bfinger

user id is 5176

I arranged this song from the Super Nintendo game Super Mario Kart, and the theme is from the koopa beach level.

here's a link to the original music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVzxCzIdVB4

the song was performed by me on guitar/bass/midi drums

cliff hooper on piano

we both mixed it at the Conservatory located in Phoenix AZ around june/july of 2007

as far as inspiration goes, Mario Kart is one of my favorite old school games, in fact - one of my best friends and I had a mario kart rivalry back in 1994, 14 years later, for his bachelor party we settled that rivalry! This is my favorite song in the game.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Super Mario Kart - "Koopa Beach"

The soundscape seemed rather lo-fi; just sounds like there weren't many highs at all. The performance was pretty raw; should have been smoother, but not a big deal; organic works.

The arrangement was mostly comping over the bassline of the original (:47-1:35), which was sandwiched between some conservative handling of the melody. There was some level of interpretation, obviously, but this still felt pretty straightfoward and underdeveloped. It really could use more interpretive ideas than close cover + soloing over bassline in such a brief package.

Sorry, I have 0 issues with this passing the panel, I just can't get behind this one as a sufficiently developed package, as much as I enjoy your work. If I'm just too reserved on this, it'll pass with no problem.

NO (resubmit)

I'm inclined to agree with Larry here that there is almost no highs at all- it feels like the instruments are being crammed right in my face without any of that top end present. some stronger panning and more of a room sound would really help this. It is almost like this track is being sent through a straw or something. :-)

The performances I thought were pretty solid, with a good flow and a casual attitude, which suits the source very well, but the the arrangement was very basic and besides some minor rhythmic changeups in the chords, it's basically a nicely performed cover. I like the track, but it needs to be a lot more interpretive than this to be OCR material.

Sorry guys, I gotta give you the no.

It is almost like this track is being sent through a straw or something. :-)

Hahaha, sorry but I don't think I can come up with a better description than that. Very compressed sound and it feels like it's missing a lot of information. The playing in this is good, but the recording/presentation is weak as anything. You've got to bring back those highs, use some room 'verb, play with the levels a little bit.

Arrangement was nice, I liked the soloing and the chord detours though one or two of them sounded unmelodic. There's probably enough there to put this over the arrangement bar. Just fix that production!

NO (resubmit)