*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'O.D. Alley (NRG Mix)'

Liontamer

Submitter only provided a streaming link; we'll get a file if we need to - LT

AmR - O.D. Alley (NRG Remix) (pop-up)

SUBMISSION Info:

Game: Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Track Title: Oil Drum Alley

Comments: A hard Trance, dance hall remix of the oil drum alley theme from Donkey Kong Country (SNES). Found myself playing the game again one day and decided that this track would be a cool remix. Enjoy.

CONTACT Info:

Remixer Name: AmR

OCR Forum ID: 28922

Website(s):

http://www.soundclick.com/amrus (Artist)

http://www.soundclick.com/rig1015 (OCR Profile)

--

Rig1015

AmR

Aaron Rigby

----------------------------------------------------------------

Donkey Kong Country - "Fear Factory"

Opened up with a slow build. Dunno if it's just the SoundClick player, but the volume was way over the top.

The electrosynth lead at 1:26 was very generic and definitely dragged this down for me, but the rest of the sounds were still pretty solid. The arrangement obviously had some level of interpretation, but melodically and structurally it held pretty fast to the source tune. I would have loved more melodic and countermelodic interpretation, more like the stuff that briefly came into play at 5:04. 5:34 went back to more conservative stuff before the breakdown at 5:59.

All in all, this was a pretty good genre adaptation and does a lot of things that go in the right direction in terms of personalizing the sound/mood. But the overall interpretation of the source tune didn't take enough risks or liberties with the melody or structure, so it still feels limited. Also, the sound of that lead synth should be changed for something less vanilla. I'd say this is about 75-80% of the way there and just needs some TLC by getting more melodically/structurally interpretive, but what's in place is promising, so we'll see how the rest of the vote goes. Hope we hear more from you, Aaron, you clearly have potential.

NO (resubmit)

Overall it's pretty solid, with some pretty good production, and nothing sounds bad to me, but the interpretation is on the shallow end for sure. The track is spread pretty thin without any substantial additions. I am enjoying the track on it's own, but I don't think it takes the source much further than a genre adaption.

As a genre adaptation, it's really good, as a potential OCReMix, it needs a little more going on, I think. Larry's got some good advice, and he is right that you have a very solid base here, so all this needs is the last extra push. :-)

no, please resubmit[/size=4]

I'm gonna echo my fellow judges on this one. You've got a great start here but need to kick it up a notch, especially arrangement-wise. Some additional variation in the melody, a counter-melody or two and some additional fx and changes from the source's structure.

Didn't think the main lead was a big issue but it sounds strangely sloppy with the choppiness, I find myself having a hard time describing it. Again, I think if you pad stuff out with some additional counter-melodies it'll be all good.

Keep at it!

NO(resubmit)