Double Trouble-(Trouble! remix from Drawn to Life)

Simwright

Hello welcome to the forum!

Just listened to your track, and correct me if i'm wrong but this is just you playing along to original track?

It's an interesting idea trying to mix metal with quite a light song, but it'd be a lot better to hear you reproduce the whole track and change the arrangement of it, rather than just play guitar over the top of it, otherwise it just lacks in originality.

In terms of production, i'm not really a metal fan but the guitars sound pretty muffled considering they're meant to be the main focus of this track.

Hopefully someone more into their metal can give you more advice on how to make a metal remix.

Please tell me what to improve

Alright, well, first off, welcome to forum buddy! I see you play the guitar. One big problem i have with this, and maybe its just cause this is a 1st draft WIP, is that your obviously playing OVER the original source! Now, maybe that was your intention and i'm sure some people would like this on the youtubes, but on here its very taboo my friend.

First, what DAW or recording software are you using to record this? Second, are you recording your guitars live or through an interface? Now, your playing is decent and very sturdy throughout the song. Another thing i noticed is that all the guitars are panned only to one side. I'm not at ALL trying to discourage you here. Believe me, i know what the road to recording your own stuff looks like. :D We'll get this figured out buddy. I'm a big metal head and that's reflected greatly with my music and remixes. Just check out my Zelda dungeon remix HERE. I think you'll get the point.

Anyways, let me know on those first 2 points and we'll talk some more my friend.

Hey thanks for your opinion on my remix and i see what your saying. i am just using Garageband to record my guitar parts and i can't get the tone right on it. i was playing over the original track until i can get some synthesizer in its place so the original track isn't going to stay there. i do not know why the guitars are put to one side. i've tried to change this setting over and over but it will not cooperate. thanks again for helping and do you have any suggestions for recording software at all.

I use Mixcraft 5. I like it, but then again i haven't really use anything else other than FL Studio 8, or i think 9 is out now. You should be able to pan the guitar tracks to one side or the other to a percentage. I know in Mixcraft 5 you can do that, and should be able to do that with just about any recording software. The tone itself isn't bad but i think some tweaking of the EQ should help. Maybe raise the highs slightly and the mids right around 1k or 2k should help that also.

Another thing is that some recording software can let you import midi files and then edit them that way. This will also let you change the instruments if you want more of a symphonic metal sound or such. I've never used garageband, so i'm not all too sure on how it operates, but i know that if you go to http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/index.htm you can download a demo of version 5. I really like Mixcraft 5 for doing metal especially. Just something to think about.

It'll take some time but you'll get the hang of it dude.