Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Dj Mystix

Your real name Mansoor Nazar

Your email address snake9677@yahoo.com

Your userid 11757 (DjMystix)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged Konami Wai Wai World 1988 / Getsufuu Maden 1987

Name of individual song(s) arranged Lament of a Warrior

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Composeer : Kenichi Mastsubara

System : NES

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Original/Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZbhk7am-wM

(Track 2 and 7)

(Track 5)

Comments:

Wai Wai world was one of my favorite games from NES back then. It was like super smash bros. only not a fighter. It was a combination of various Konami games. Although the sound track is great but this particular track got my attention and it was many years later when I found out that the character Fuuma has his own game called Getsufuu Maden which was never released outside Japan. I remixed this song about 10 years ago with not so good equipment. Last week, I decided to give it another try.

I never really stick to the rules of the music genre I attempt. I've tried to surprise the listener with a very slow, acoustic ballad style intro and then change things to a completely different direction. I hope you like this. The song also ends in the same way. This is my first attempt at disco music.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/music/nsf/getsufuu-maden.html Tracks 02, 07

• 3 weeks later...

There's a great source selection here, of a song i'd never had heard otherwise; thank you for introducing me to this track. :-)

The arrangement itself is strong, interesting, and varied. I really like the direction taken on the source; The flow was great, and the ideas were well-executed, but the production was a bit problematic.

Right out of the gate, the flute sample had some realism issues, with hard, static attacks. It needs to sound more natural, with different velocities that don't all say "127". Later on the same velocity issue was compounded with the pizzicato strings, and also the piano leads. The timing was also pretty mechanical on them, and could use a bit of humanization to feel a little smoother.

Otherwise, the sounds chosen are good, and they mesh well, though the lead synth midway could use some more depth and some eq to make it less brittle. I'd tone down the frequencies at 2kish and slightly above to make it sit a little nicer in the mix. Nothing drastic, but it'd help. The separation of elements was well done, with a lot of good panning choices, and varied switches on the melodic instruments.

Finally, the compression overall is a bit overpowering, as the song is being pressed super hard. Definitely ease up on the levels. One way to keep your current volume without crushing eardrums would be to cut several elements very tightly at 250hz, and rolled off on 50hz and lower. Bass for sure, and possibly pads and melodic instruments as well.

This has a ton of promise but needs polish in some of the production execution, and some minor EQ smoothing. The arrangement is great, and the vision for the track is really good, it just needs to be cleaned up and sound more human. I really like the track and hope that you take the time to fix it up so we can post it!

No, please resubmit

The compression is crazy on this, it really holds back what is a nice arrangement and makes this harder to judge. From what I can tell, this combines the two sources well and has a lot of detailed parts. From an arrangement standpoint, it's above the bar.

The compression alone makes this a NO (and you may have mixing problems - it's impossible to tell), but the sequencing also should be more realistic. OA covered it pretty well. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of specific advice I can give. Take off the compression, try to get it sounding as good as you can without it, and apply a little bit back afterwards.

NO (resubmit)