*NO* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 'Midnight Rush'

Palpable

Submission:

Zelda: Twilight Princess - Midnight Rush. It's attached - sorry, didn't want to risk my hosting being down when you try to access it.

Contact Info

ReMixer name: Rellik

E-mail address: Rellyk@gmail.com

Website: http://www.adamlederer.com (this is newer, please update my profile)

User id: 3289

Submission Info

ReMix title: Midnight Rush

Name of game: Zelda: Twilight Princess

Name of tune from game: Midna's Theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhAmtVWpZ0

Comments

This was my entry for Magfest DoD. I'd actually been dreaming up this arrangement for over a year, inspired by Yoko Kanno's Cowboy Bebop soundtrack... but I didn't have the chops at the time. Still don't, but closer now, having been motivated by Shnababula's work. Anyway, it's not really too great a mix (14th place), but I thought I'd sub it cuz you know like whatever.

Being a DoD entry, it's mostly played live via MIDI controller, and was done over the course of about 8 hours one night. For a lot of it I didn't use a click track, which has its bonuses but makes things really awkward sometimes =P.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Midna's Theme

• 3 weeks later...

There is some really nice stuff going on here, specifically the opening run, and the emotive playing, and I thought once the saxes and drums came in, it was working pretty nicely, but the synth lead that came in later was a little too wet and crazy, and it caused everything else to bleed. It's appearance was pretty brief, but I think it should be cleaned up. The other issue is the ending and the pacing- it kind of feels like you got bored with the arrangement and halfheartedly tacked on an ending. It doesn't feel decisive or strong, and it also doesn't feel off-the-cuff either. It's a little of both, and sounds sortof sloppy.

Production got a little muddy at points with some of the piano chords, so possibly EQing a bit of the low mids out would help, but really the only pressing issues with this are the ending, and that overly verbed and delayed synth. Cleaning up the piano sound certainly wouldn't hurt though.

Very close, but not quite there. No, please resubmit

I definitely hear the Cowboy Bebop influence here (an excellent soundtrack), and once it gets going, this is a very fun arrangement. Tons of color, high energy, some great chords. I gotta agree with OA that the production could have been improved on this, the synth had too much on it and didn't fit what you had going. Some of the sequencing also hurt this. The piano sequencing was too stiff, especially the quicker runs, and a softer opening would have ramped into the main section better. It sounded pretty uniform volume-wise. The drums in the 1:41 section were just sloppy, I couldn't even tell whether you were going for a realistic sound there, or a chopped-up loop. There's also some minor timing issues when everything is playing together.

Very close to a pass and let me reiterate that the arrangement is great. Please take another shot at it, Adam.

NO (resubmit)

The big band stuff mixed with the synth stuff sounds really sloppy. The arrangement is great but the execution needs to be super tight to convey the intensity of the arrangement. Drums sound really weird at that part with the synth lead.

Piano is also very bright and heavy sounding; I think something darker and softer would work for an arrangement like this. Just a thought.

Just needs to be tightened up a little.

NO, resub