BioShock Cohen's Masterpiece ReMix

MrAspirin

Hello!

I've been a member of the forums for a total of twenty minutes now, and I've already got a remix to get feedback on (yay?)

I've been working on a remix of Cohen's Masterpiece from BioShock, which I've basically been tweaking off and on over the last few weeks until I thought it was worth asking other people for their opinions.

I have it uploaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ry4mymknh2z/Cohen's Disasterpiece2.0.mp3

It's kind of a techno variation, with some odd-ball drums that I thought kept with the spirit of the already weirdly-timed piece. Enjoy!

EDIT:

Here's the new, improved version of the Remix. Let me know what you think!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y3mjjjtrmwm/Cohen's Disasterpiece3.0.mp3

First up, Hello and welcome to the Boards!

I don't know the source material so I can't comment on the arrangement of your piece at all unfortunately.

My main criticism is it's lack of variation, you can really only hear that one synth, which plays constantly through the whole piece, so I got a bit tired of listening to it after a couple of minutes. I would suggest taking the level of that synth down a bit so that the rest of the track can be heard, and maybe throw the melody around onto other instruments to mix things up abit. 4 minutes + is just a bit too long for this track at the moment, but i reckon you could keep that length if you add the variety.

Anyway on the up side I definately think this has potential, I like the overall sinister sound to it, so keep at it!

Hope that helps

I think that Cohen's Masterpiece is probably the best track in the game.

And also, it's like, in 3/4, or 6/8, or some triplet division like that, so it's not like the rhythm is too out there (it's Rachmaninoff inspired, after all). If that's weirdly-timed for ya, wait till you listen to any piece of music from more than 100 years ago!

Anyway, I agree with the above: vary up your synths, since they sound very samey.

Also, the same appiles to the drums, which feel as if they have no depth to them (as they are always the same volume, hit the same spot on the stereo, etc).

So yeah, vary up your instrument choices, since you, as said, use one synth and the low registers really muddy up your arrangement.

Thanks for the feedback!

I played around with it a little more, added a few instruments and changed up some of the drums. The ending is a bit more of a mix of several parts from the rest of the song, but I think it sounds more fluid.

The link to the new version is in my first post. Again, let me know what you think!