Brandon Goins

brandon@harlanwebsitedesign.com

www.harlancountyphotography.com

Submission Information

Ico (Playstation 2)

Castle In The Mist

(Game and song already on OC Remix)

Original:

As a hobbyist musician and avid gamer I've been a huge fan of OC Remixes for many years, but strangely I never visited the site and browsed the selection until the recent month. The motivation hit me to do a remix, and after recently viewing the trailer for The Last Guardian (a presumed sequel or prequel to Ico), I found myself plucking the keyboard trying to remember Ico's "Castle In The Mist." The simple theme made for a fun performance and doing this remake was a total blast, and in the end I hope I created something different enough from the original but true enough to the spirit of the title. I am not completely satisfied with the arrangement and thought of writing it off as a practice-piece and taking another shot before making my debut submission, but after some positive feedback, as well as a sudden lack of motivation, I decided to go for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the concept of this one a lot, but I don't think the execution is 100% there. It started out pretty nice, with the guitar sample behaving pretty predictably in relation to how a guitar is played, but as it progressed, the slides got out of hand, to the point where you'd need 3 hands to reliably play those specific articulations.

Production was decent but not astounding, and really seemed to be missing a solid bottom end when everything came in, as well as a little bit of muddiness when everything was going on. I think the backing synths were very well chosen, however.

The arrangement followed things pretty closely, but was definitely personalized. I think the production and sequencing are just holding this one back. It's close, so a little bit more bass and some midi touchup should put this one over.

No, please resubmit

This is a very close call, the arrangement is great. There's a lot of detailed programming but a clear emphasis on the melody, and it sounds like one of those songs you'd hear on Pure Moods. I really enjoyed it.

Even production-wise, I'd say this is basically there, 90%. I noticed there was too much focus on the left-side of the spectrum - if you moved some of the guitar parts to the other side, you'd solve the balance and it would sound more like two guitars, which solves your "three-handed guitarist" problem. Bass could be brought up a little more, though be careful with muddiness from the other instruments. You could also push the lead guitars back a little; with them being so upfront, the slightly unrealistic sequencing is apparent.

I almost went conditional YES because the fixes probably won't take long. Please PM me if you make a new version and we can fast-track a revote.

NO (resubmit)

Nice blend of electronic and acoustic. Great arrangement. I love those pulsey synth strings.

I agree there's a bias towards the left in the overall panning here. I'd center a little more or move some things around. There's some muddiness when more instruments are playing, but I think that could be remedied by doing some smart reverb adjustments.

I'm just gonna say NO so we can get this out the door and back to you for some slight revisions. Please resubmit.