Looking for a mixer to give a listen to a very short rock snippet...

Hello there OCRemix,

I have a project that I've been working on for a while, and I have a lot of tracks to mix. So I've been at work on a midi rock template, using The Black Mages - Decisive Battle as a guide.

Now, I don't have the end all best sounds in the world, so I want to at least capture the essence of what I'm trying to get across emotionally using the samples that I have here in Reason 4.

I'm going to post here clips from this rock template. I know that I'm going to need different techniques for different parts of songs. Here's what I've got right now:

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=797

I'm not looking to use any other samples than the ones I have there, and I actually really like it as it is, and am ready to just use it like that... I'm just wondering if there might be anything else I could do effects wise, or leveling wise, or...etc... etc...? Any tips and tricks accompaniment wise, or effects wise that could make it....clearer I guess?

Anything I should look for in arranging rock music that might be needed in my soundtrack? EDIT: What I mean by this is that I'm creating a midi template to convert GM midi files.

Thank you for your time.

I wouldn't recommend that you request replies from only the best-of-the-best mixers; it comes across as rude and I think that's part of the reason you haven't gotten any replies thus far.

Fortunately for you I have just the right amount of narcissism and disregard for rules to reply anyway. I even know a little bit about mixing!

Your lead could be weak for a number of reasons, but obviously the end problem is it's just not loud enough. However, noise more often than not should come from lowering the volume of everything around it, rather than raising the volume of the single instrument that's too quiet.

Every instrument should also occupy its own range, more or less, so that it has its own place in the aural spectrum. For guitars I like to give it some highs as well as the lows so that it has a little crunch.

Your snare needs a little more noise and crunch, too... actually the whole drum set does. EQ each piece of the set individually, and put a compressor on the whole thing. WIDE threshold (-2dB or so) and HIGH ratio (1:8 at the very least).

fun fact: the bass drum's high punchy end is around 3-5KHz. reef the lows, and put a little notch in right there, too.

Reason 4 is a great place to start, and even a great place to work ideas. But with the guitars especially, you aren't going to get a professional sound. But you could easily do worse. Reason 4 is just a step below industry standard.

Thanks, Slygen, for the reply. (And thanks for the tips on the compression on the drums)

EDIT: Actually, I want to, as humbly and respectfully as I can to all musicians and mixers here, add in that the point of this is that it's a template to convert GM Midi files to a higher quality sound than Microsoft's Wavetable SW Synth. So actually...well I guess I could create another topic for this...but if anyone has any tips on how I could recreate the essence of metal rhythm guitar using just one velocity layer patches....it's what I'm looking for right now.

So far, after trying all kinds of unconventional techniques, the solution for me has been to use P5 Muted/Chunk guitar samples for the lower spectrum (combined with a compressed bass), and then have a P4 or P5 sustained guitar to hit on and off.

Again, I'm not looking to be realistic, or synthy, I'm looking to capture the essence of the original track in a GM Midi template using, more often than not, very unconventional methods.

your lead, as had been mentioned before, is very weak. I really love the deep guitar shredding in the background though, so if you can, try to make that guitar resemble it in sound quality (not necessarily in range). Also, as Slygen has said, increase the volume. maybe just a pinch of distortion and reverb would work; dont go overboard as it may end up just sounding like "rock soup"

I don't really have a problem with the drums; its a guitar feature, but it wouldnt hurt to possibly make them louder. you could even save a second version with roaring drums to make it even sweeter (as we all know epic drums= epic music 90% of the time :smile:)

the volume is really the main concern of this, otherwise, nice job :)

Guitars are really hard to emulate, especially leads. Your best bet for rhythm guitars is this bad boy, but that costs a lot of money (it's $50 but plus Kontakt 4 is like $300 something dollars)

In this case, I'd recommend getting live guitars by actual guys who can play guitar.

The lead is a bit flat and dry and quiet, it's not quite slicing through the music as it should be. The bass is a bit too loud, the lead guitar is a bit off rhythm in the second half part.

Both tones of both guitars are unfortunately sounding very dry and stale. :(