Palpable

Brandon Strader

Brandon Strader

oinkness@gmail.com

http://brandon.rainwound.com/

NiGHTS Into Dreams

Gate of your Dreams

LINK TO REMIX BELOW

I have never played a NiGHTS game before, but was asked to create this song by an acquaintance. The original song is very short, and only has the one key change in it. Not a lot going on in it. As a result of this, I went a little overboard with the arrangement while still staying true to the original. I added a lot of extra "flair", especially in the percussion. I recorded live bongos, tambourine, wedding bells, maracas, and I even went as far as using a coffee can as a percussive instrument. I don't usually write in this style, but I thought the contrast between real instruments (percussive and guitar, bass) against the electronic ones (everything else) was an interesting conflict, to say the least. Also, the auto-tuned whistling at the beginning was pretty fun, and a nod towards the hybridization of real and electronic.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another chord-y mix - this uses the chords of the original, which get slightly modified in the second half of the song. I can't say I really thought this was a remix of the source - I actually thought I might have been listening to the wrong source before that little cameo of the melody at the end.

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful track, I love the ambience, the beat, the guitar solo. Apart from some slight mixing issues when the guitar comes in, the song is perfect. Well, except for that one big thing. I feel bad that I can't pass this, but maybe the other judges will see it differently.

NO

I thought the percussion high end was overhyped, but all the recorded percussion was cool, and the feel of the track was really nice.

The arrangement itself is pretty meandering with a lot of elements that work as backing melodies, but I don't feel really drove the track anywhere. It was really beautiful, but it was background for a main melody that never appeared.

I pretty much agree with Vinnie that though the chords are pretty grounded, there isn't near enough connection to the source. Either rework this one, or please do a different song in this style, because I really think it works.

Sorry man,

No

Well, the chords use the rhythms of the original's chords, just not the notes. And when you're dealing with such a simplified part, you really have to keep the notes sounding similar so the connection is overt. In this case, I see what you did there, but the two note backing pattern sounds too different compared to the original.

The rising and falling synth notes starting at :25 were too liberal to be connected to the source at all. The 4-note melody first used at 1:03 was inspired by the first 4 notes from the classic source melody, but the kicker again is that only the rhythm's the same while the notes are completely different.

The original guitar work at 1:42 was pretty solid, though mixed somewhat roughly. It should be cleaned up a bit, but production-wise it wasn't a dealbreaker.

If the goal was to retain the overall mood while evading copyright, then mission accomplished. :-) So you don't venture too far away from the theme, work with it 1-for-1, then see what melodic or rhythmic variations you can build from there; just do what you can so that you don't change the melodies/notes too drastically.

ROFL, finally THERE'S the recognizable theme at 3:24. The concept here is cool, Brandon. Just use the theme in a more recognizable way, and this concept and sonic pallette is already strong enough to get a pass. Definitely want to see this resubbed.

NO (resubmit)