The Warrior's Last Stand

Ravich

I started drawing this up a few weeks ago and quickly got discouraged. I was going for an epic orchestral arrangement of Red XIII and Seto's themes, but found that the the melodies dont readily lend themselves to this style of music. The harmonies and melodies are very static, so it's hard to create a feeling of growth and forward motion. I thought I would post this since I revisted it and still have some ideas with where I want to go with it.

http://www.box.net/shared/ou1tkkjt2e

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. I like the piece. But I'm no expert in remixing nor a good judge of quality. What sounds great to me may not be so to others. So far, it's spot on and epic.

...But you do know that it cuts off at 1:20, right? I'd really wanted to hear the whole thing, as this is one of my favorite themes. You might want to fix that.

You've definitely got something good going here; I got chills up my arms when Red XIII's theme really started coming in, and I think you're definitely spot-on so far for the mood you seem to be wanting to set (based on the title of the piece). It's definitely something I'd love to see fleshed out and could see myself desiring strongly to listen to it on a regular basis.

Inferno's right, though, we definitely need MORE of the piece, before much can really be said of it - at least 2 minutes, I'd say, give or take. I'll try to find some suggestions to make anyway though.

Maybe something you could start with would be delaying the entrance of the flutes following the entrance of the theme at 1:08ish; it felt like the oboe? clarinet? should have more time alone at center stage, more time to develop the theme before the flutes came in, more of a "calm time" before the beat came back in and brought the flutes in with them. The transition between the two felt too quick, too easy. Perhaps you could have the flutes remain in the background for a while before they step to the foreground, perhaps use them to support a second iteration of the clarinet/oboe?

Also, the strings sounded a bit... off to me, especially around 0:39-0:46. That could just be me, though - my headphones are admittedly not the best in the world.