*NO* Super Metroid 'Jungle Hell'

Palpable

Remixer Alias: HoboKa

Sources: Red Brinstar & Green Brinstar

Game: Super Metroid

Remix Name: Jungle Hell

Description:

This is a sort of combo mix, employing various styles; it's also atmospheric to boot :D

Hopefully you guys will dig this and it'll end up in the No, Resub - instead of the No, go hang yourself area :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Brinstar Red Soil Swamp Yada Yada,

• 2 weeks later...

This is a distinct step up from your previous work, and features some cool backing atmosphere and a lot of good layered percussive instrumentation, and some structure and song progression. The arrangement is pretty moody, and though parts are a bit repetitive, the overarching track has a good amount of variety. Transitions were decent, and the sounds chosen blended well together.

The sequencing on the synths and piano was pretty mechanical though, and I think the kick could have a little more attack on it. Also there were a few sections that sounded like they were clipping, which would need to be looked at, specifically the thunder SFX that hit with the beginning of a new phrase.

Some of the best parts of the brinstar source weren't used, or if they were, were not prominent at all, and that might be something you'd want to tie into the arrangement to improve it. Some of the drum sounds are a little cheapy as well, but when enough of them are layered, it makes it a richer soundscape and masks a bit of the generic sounds. I'd take a look at some of the highhats and adjust the velocities of them a little to give them some more life.

The ending was also pretty abrupt, and could have used a stronger crescendo into it.

Overall a really solid foundation that just needs a little bit of tuning up in some areas to clear the bar. It's not quite enough to convince me, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some judges give this the thumbs up. Awesome improvement! :-)

No, please resubmit

I dig the piano, but the composition is a bit plodding. The entrance at 1:30 is too loud and the instrument sticks out in terms of texture. The tonal instrument parts are way too simple for such a slow tempo. Imagine this song without drums. It would be unlistenable. The textures here are pretty cool, and I dig the mood, but you really need more complexity and subtlety in the writing to justify such a slow pace.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new favorite song of yours, Alex. I think the sound design and background writing in this track (especially the piano runs) are a huge step up from previous subs of yours. In fact, this is the first track of yours where I don't think any of the arrangement needs to change. Seriously! OK, the ending is a little abrupt and it might have been cool to go back to the intro section, but otherwise, fine work.

There's just a few production issues to iron out. The mixing is definitely off, as Jesse pointed out. Play with the EQ and volume levels of that lead at 1:22, it shouldn't be overpowering the drums so much. This song also has an issue of the drums never ramping up to full power. I like the layering you did, but in the climax parts the drums don't have the right power. They should be hitting harder to match that lead you bring in. The sample quality could also be better on some of the drums. Sequencing on some instruments is too mechanical.

I urge you to resubmit this because I think this is seriously 90% there (at least, for me).

NO (resubmit)