Sonic CD - "Don't Panic" (Palmtree Panic)

Jono

Hello OCR. This is my first time doing a serious remix of a track, and it's been a long time coming--I've wanted to do a mix for ages. Well, I've worked on it quite a while before getting the login details for this old account of mine worked out, so, right now, it's basically "finished" though I am open to other ideas for improving the thing. I've remixed the normal tune for "Palmtree Panic," the first level from Sonic the Hedgehog CD. (Some of the alternate mixes were an influence on the mix, too) Oh, and this is the JP/EU soundtrack, not the American one.

Without further adieu:

http://soundcloud.com/jonodude/dont-panic

Source tune(s), on the following page, for those who want it:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_CD_OST_(Japan_%26_PAL_regions)

Basically what I think I've got going on here is a sort of retro-sounding, fun dance tune, while being sort of spacey sounding. I used the piano progression present in the source(s), which I love, as my foundation and built from there. Overall, I'm rather pleased, but I'm looking for further suggestions, or just confirmation on the quality (good or bad). If you decide to listen, thanks for taking the time!

Seagulls need moar reverb. :lmassoff:

Joking aside, this is a pretty funky, chilled out remix. It definitely has that retro sound you were going for. However, I think the drums could be mixed a bit better. The kick and snare seem quite distant and could use more punch. I'm not familiar with the source, so I can't comment on the arrangement just yet.

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, the drums really were tricky for me at first. So, I put some more work in tonight and I think the mix is a lot more improved now. I made some other adjustments too while I was at it; stuff I kinda wanted to change before but wanted to "leave well enough alone." I'm editing a new link into the original post.

This song rocks man! I have an idea: use open-closed hi-hats; it's scientific; the closed is the hitting of the hat while the open is when it well, opens. The opens are used less and are a type of accent of closed hi-hat hits. Look up playing hi-hats on youtube.

Edit, oh wait, I heard the ol' one. Time for the new 8)

Well, the open-hat was a fairly specific sound I was going for. When I hear groups use predominantly open hats on the off-beat in their songs, they just seem a whole lot more catchy. But, you got me thinking, and I went back and did vary up the whole pattern a little more, with a few closed hat accents (kind of reverse of what you said), and I think the whole thing sounds a lot better now. I also made the solo at the end last longer. This new version is hearable in the original "NEW mix" link at the top.

Well, I think that's about all I can accomplish with this mix without going through a major overhaul. Should I label it "mod review" now, perhaps?