Earthbound - Lost Underworld (Electr-oh! Remix)

Doni

Hey all,

I've cooked up a little remix that I believe fans of Earthbound and fans of music will like. The source track is "Lost Underworld" from the aforementioned Earthbound (as known in America) or Mother 2 (as known in Japan). The game itself was essential for me this was one of my favorite tracks. Perhaps hard-core's will find this to be an odd choice considering the amount of great material from Earthbound, but somehow this one just worked out well with my style.

The source is based on organic instrumentation and arrangement, while the remix coats everything in a thick layer of acid (the illegal to distribute and ingest kind). Anyways, just have a listen, and please give me your feedback. This version is about 99% complete, but if somebody has something to add that I feel is worth addressing, I will consider that. Thanks all!

The Remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vb385OSemY

The Source:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty tight remix here. It might be a little too close to the original, I think if this went to the judges panel it would probably boil down to a judgment call. On the one hand, it's pretty close to the source melodies and you don't vary it up a ton, but there's certainly plenty of adjustments that give this song its own unique character. It definitely feels Earthbound-y.

I'm not really sure if this would pass, I'd have to think a while on it. However, I really enjoyed your take on the theme and think you should try submitting anyway if you feel like, just to see what happens. Good luck and thanks for sharing a cool mix!

Emu hit the arrangement side, so I'll hit production more:

Pretty cool groove here as a foundation. Synths are on the basic side here, but seems to be the style you're going for as well and also par the course for Earthbound as I understand it. I still feel like more could be done, though, to make the synths more interesting. Filters, effects, unexpected stuff (a la Mazedude) could make things more interesting.

The drum loop really could use some variation as it basically keeps a static pattern throughout the song (I did hear the fills near the end, but each time it's the same fill repeated). I'd say that's the biggest gripe of mine on the track.

The bass synth isn't bad, but I did notice it started to grate on my ears a bit after a while.

Anyway, all said cool track here and pretty catchy, I just feel like it has a bit more potential :).

Pretty tight remix here. It might be a little too close to the original, I think if this went to the judges panel it would probably boil down to a judgment call. On the one hand, it's pretty close to the source melodies and you don't vary it up a ton, but there's certainly plenty of adjustments that give this song its own unique character. It definitely feels Earthbound-y.

I'm not really sure if this would pass, I'd have to think a while on it. However, I really enjoyed your take on the theme and think you should try submitting anyway if you feel like, just to see what happens. Good luck and thanks for sharing a cool mix!

Glad you liked it... I don't see how this would be too close to the original considering all the changes I made. The only thing that is kept the same is the notes in the lead. Changing those wouldn't make much sense as they are very simple and I am not a fan of dawdling with them simply because it hath been decreed that a remix requires dawdling. Most of my remixes take this path... Funk out the bass, change up the drums, at layers of effects and build segways; but keep the leads as they are. That's what makes the track recognizable and what I think makes fans happiest. It's what I like at least

Emu hit the arrangement side, so I'll hit production more:

Pretty cool groove here as a foundation. Synths are on the basic side here, but seems to be the style you're going for as well and also par the course for Earthbound as I understand it. I still feel like more could be done, though, to make the synths more interesting. Filters, effects, unexpected stuff (a la Mazedude) could make things more interesting.

The drum loop really could use some variation as it basically keeps a static pattern throughout the song (I did hear the fills near the end, but each time it's the same fill repeated). I'd say that's the biggest gripe of mine on the track.

The bass synth isn't bad, but I did notice it started to grate on my ears a bit after a while.

Anyway, all said cool track here and pretty catchy, I just feel like it has a bit more potential :).

It would be easy to add filters and cuts and other tricks, but thats not the style of this song. The sum of the parts is what should grab you, if it doesn't, then the song is just not your style.

The drums are indeed static throughout the song. The style is sort of a lazy-esque groove. I could knock about with little fills and changeups but the song doesn't require that level of complexity.

If I was going to change the bass, I'd need to hear more complaints about it than just one. Could be an opinion thing. So far all the comments I have on youtube haven't raised any concerns about it, so I'll wait on that.