VGM borrowing from pop music

cawnil

Always love mentioning this example:

(Journey - Faithfully)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns0NSzqnjvA (Elec Man - Mega Man 1)

To tell you the truth, I've only recently listened to Faithfully via a friend a year ago. As soon as I heard that piano intro, I screamed Elec Man. Immediately fell in love with the song though.

You know what would be challenging? If someone in OCR remixes Elec Man with vocals, yet tries to avoid Journey's vocal melodies and harmonies while keeping the 80s rock power ballad vibe.

Meh I'm sure you can take any song and find another one that has a similar riff, etc. Considering how many songs use the same scales and what not lol. Take metal music for example. How many times I've heard the very same riff from a thousand different bands........

Sometimes it's just a little tooo much to be the result of common practices within music theory and genres though. Like when the whole song sounds very similar for 4 freakin' minutes. I'm looking at you Lady Gaga. That DBZ song Willrock posted made me want to kick a puppy though. What in the fresh hell is that all about? Were they thinking "Stratovarius is from finland so nooooobody will ever notice".

Joke's on them though. Finland makes some the best metal and rock earth shall ever know.