*NO* Phantasy Star 'Lassic's Theme (Gagá's Version)'

DragonAvenger

Remixer name: Cosmonal

E-mail: ericfraga@terra.com.br

Game: Phantasy Star

Music: Lassic’s Theme

Original from the game: http://soundcloud.com/cosmonal/bo-lassics-theme

Was made on my usual setup: PowerTracks (love this sequencer since Win3.11), Triton Classic and Adobe Audition. The “Gagá’s” from the title is a retrogamer friend who asked me to do this remix, on the first place. Not related to Lady Gaga :)

-----------------------------

- SMS version (starts around 0:25)

- PS2 remake version (Starts around 1:04)

While there isn't much changed around melodically, there does seem to be a decent amount of work put into the backing and sounds to make this texturally different from the original. That along with the mood change from the original is a nice touch. I would have liked to see a little more changes in the melody and structure, especially when the song pretty much repeats the second time through. That is one of the big issues I had with this mix. There needs to be something more than just a repeat for the second half of the song!

I've got to be honest, most of the sounds were not really working for me. Overall this sounds like it is about a PS2 era piece, which really isn't up to the production standards. The lead sound is especially bothering me. I feel like it isn't carrying the power that it needs. As with the arrangement, this needs some definite work on the production and some improvement on the sounds for it to work.

This needs a fair bit of work, but I can see that there was some effort put into it. Keep working on it, and use our WIP boards to get some good feedback! NO

• 2 weeks later...

Some good parts of this mix, but I do agree with Deia that the samples aren't quite cutting it. Some additional humanization would be good as well. :-)

The arrangement is pretty personalized, but there are a lot of repetition issues that could be fixed by differentiating the second half, it is totally a rehash. :/

The ending was actually pretty well handled though which was a pleasant surprise.

So here's the TODO list on this one:

* update some of the samples, mainly the guitar lead and snare.

* humanize some of the sequencing

* personalize the second half a lot more, and have it sound more unique.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I like the sparse airy mood and some of the arrangement ideas within. But this has a general MIDI sound that's not doing it many favors. The drums are really tepid and there's a lot of space in this mix, they should be much beefier. Cool fills though. The lead sound is also pretty thin, though sometimes you can get away with that if there's enough else going on (which there wasn't here). The sequencing in this song is really square and some more sophistication there would have helped. Finally, thirding that the repetition is a dealbreaker and the second half should have done more to distinguish itself. There's a lot of ways in which you can improve this.

NO (resubmit)