OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: Tysk

E-mail adress: dennis_treiber@gmx.de

Submission information

Name of the game arranged: Top Gear

Name of the individual song arranged: Track 4

Tysk - Breathe

Hello there,

"Breathe" is my Drum'n'Bass version of the 4th track in Top Gear. I heard this song once again after few years and my thought was "wow, this melody is so catchy, how about making a new version of it".

And there went my ReMix which took several hours to complete.

I'd appreciate it a lot if you liked it, I put a lot of work into it.

Yours sincerely,

Dennis Treiber

source:

I agree that the melody of the source is very catchy; it's a lot of fun to listen to. I can see how you tried to approach this in your mix and there are some interesting elements going on here. The structure is expanded on by a lot, and there are lots of changes in the soundscape. I would have liked to hear more interpretation of the melody itself, and maybe a little more original parts/add-ons. By the end the repetition was a bit much, this could overall be shorter and have the same or a better effect. The fade-out ending is very weak, and very inconclusive, there definitely needs to be some work there.

I need to comment that while you have a lot of different drum loops working in this mix, I feel like there isn't a lot of personalization to the drums. It seems like you set a loop, let it runs its course, and change it up. I'd like to see you fool around and have the drums really react and support or work with the music and themes, especially for a dnb track.

The big issue overall is the sound quality. There were some spots that just really were not sounding good, mostly because of the sound choices, the volume, and the balance being not where it needs to be. I think you can work and improve this, but it has a lot of work that needs to be done.

There is a start here, but right now it needs quite a bit of work before it is at our level. Please consider using our WIP forums to get some additional feedback after you rework this. NO

I'm going to emphasize the points Deia made here- The track is decently expanded and has some cool stuff going on, but the balance is off pretty hard in several sections, and the drum loops are super super repetitive.

The melody in spots (specifically the breakdown) is really quiet, and often overpowered by everything else. It needs to be more prominent in these sections. :-)

The synth sounds were decent, but really started getting old by the end, part of it was the sheer repetition, but I think mixing a few of them up even more would be a good plan.

Tune it up and ship it back!

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

Great opening atmosphere and I liked the drum programming/loop usage. This was a well-executed song concept. Unfortunately, the song was very similar to the original except in style, and the main melody repeated way too often even though you changed up the instrument it played on. There just wasn't enough there to compensate for how much the melody was used verbatim. This is one of those songs that would really benefit from an original section and some melody variations. The large dynamic range leaps got tiresome (one would have been fine) and I think you could have done more to smooth the transitions. No drastic overhaul necessary, just some minor variations to make this more interesting and maybe less dynamic range. Excellent candidate for resubmission.

NO (resubmit)