*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'The Story Begins'

OceansAndrew

* ReMixer name: Sonic Dilerium

* Email address: lepape_tardif@hotmail.com

* Userid: 28679

Submission Information:

* Final Fantasy VII

* 02 - Opening Theme - Bombing Mission

* This song was made as part of a song remixing contest between my sister and I to test and improve both of our remixing skills and love for Final Fantasy soundtracks.

Pretty cool that you took this as a challenge between the both of you to create music, I approve!

I can tell that you must have listened to the original a lot to get all the different parts down just right. That being said, while there is some interpretation here, this is mostly a cover, which isn't going to match up to our standards. If you are willing to revisit this to add some of your own interpretation, variation, and original material in order to bring this up to our bar, fantastic. Otherwise it is a pretty good stand-alone piece.

Production was pretty good, and I liked the hand percussion added throughout, although it needs to have the same room treatment as the orchestra (right now it sounds much closer than the rest of the instruments). I also noticed that in some cases the attacks of the instruments felt a little too harsh, especially the brass in some areas. This might be more personal taste, but some (not all) attacks could be softened up.

You definitely have some good ears and skills for mixing, but this needs to be more interpretive for our site. If you decide to revisit this, good luck! If not, hopefully we can hear something new by you in the future.

NO (resubmit)

Definitely an impressive and bombastic take on the theme but I can't help but think of how similar it sounds to the source. I think taking the theme and expanding upon it would be a good idea- the sequencing is generally strong, and there is a good sense of placement. Some elements were a little too far forward, but overall things were pretty close.

The main issue is the minimum amount of expansion of the main melodies; I think there is a good shift of expanding the genre that has some countermelodies added, but there needs to be more personalization as well.

i recommend hitting up the WIP threads for some tips; you definitely have some skills, the track itself just needs to match the goals of OCR a little closer to get on the site. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 months later...

Careful with those sub bass frequencies, this actually rattled my desktop. :) For the most part, you can cut off nearly all that stuff to get a cleaner sound. Otherwise, this sounded pretty strong.

Like the other judges said, there's not much personalization here. This is what I would expect an orchestral version of Bombing Mission to sound like. I heard some little flourishes that you added, but 90% of this is straight from the original. We're looking for stuff that's more interpretive. If you've got anything else that's more of an arrangement, send it our way.

NO