*NO* Mortal Kombat 'HoboKombaaat'

OceansAndrew

Artist: HoboKa

Sources:

1) http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/T_MortalKombat_Pit.mid (the pit Mortal Kombat 1)

2) http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/mk2_armory_zb.mid (the Armory Mortal Kombat 2)

Remix name: HoboKombaaat

Description:

Well, kinda hard to describe, other than it uses different forms of electronic styles and stuff. I aimed for that kinda

edgy 90's feel and was definitely inspired by the MK movie theme song. Other then that, I'll let your ears discern the rest ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GUobp0lo5s - Genesis pit (is a little different from the midi)

- The armory

Definitely starting to get the basics of arrangement down, Alex. There are a lot of cool details here, and though the samples aren't really awesome, and the overall length is a bit long, this is a huge step up. :-D

Where this could be improved is a little bit harder-hitting drums (specifically the snare), and an overall length trimming. Also, some more cool hooks, like the excellent percussion breakdown would really kick up the excitement level on this. The soundscape is decently filled out, and the transitions work pretty well, but in the time alloted, not a ton of stuff is happening that is noticeably changing. I can tell some BG pads and stuff are being shifted around, but the main parts sound like copy-pastes. There is a good variation overall, and the percussion writing is some of your best yet, so this one definitely has promise. :-)

No, please resubmit

I am definitely hearing improvement in you, Alex, and this is probably your best submission yet. I do think the arrangement gets a little far away from the source at times, and having those sections trimmed out, like Andrew mentioned, will help with the overall length issue. The samples overall are a bit rough, and I'd like to see those improved as well. Andrew gave a lot of good points to look at, so I won't add too much myself. I will say that 3:36, despite being source-oriented, sounds kinda strange; I'm not sure if it's totally that the original is strange itself (it is), but I think the synth choice adds to that. If that's what you were going for, cool, but it wasn't really my thing. If you keep working on this, kudos and good luck to you,

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I'd love to play Hobo Kombat, sounds fun.

Drums were rough across the board. That first snare sounded cool but totally didn't mesh with the other drums, and the same problem happened with pretty much every new snare/clap you introduced. I wasn't a fan of the drum change-ups every few measures, it didn't flow well at all. You've also got an awkward drum breakdown section near the beginning that wasn't smooth enough, but the section following that worked pretty well and was the best part of the song.

I also had a hard time hearing source in a lot of this, which is a problem in itself, but the lack of flow in this song is a dealbreaker as well. Sorry, Alex, I wasn't feeling this one much.

NO