OCR01294 - *YES* Crack Down '4:20 AM'

zykO

whats up folks. this is from crackdown on the sega genesis... a pretty old school game with awesomely addictive gameplay and a badass soundtrack. very underrated, forgotten game.

this piece is a different version of The Man who broke his Smile at vgmix. whereas the former is a centric arrangement (A, B, C, B, A) this is a further interpretation of just section C of the original arrangement. the original clocks in at a whopping 12 minutes but i felt section C got lost in the midst of the original mix rather than stand as the climax as i had intended it as...

and so i bring you the climax of The Man who broke his Smile at 4:20 AM.

enjoy ;)

http://www.zophar.net/gym/crackdn.rar - Crack Down 04.gym

Good entrance going on for some cover-style expansion on the source material. Just listening to the GYM, the original was one of those sparse-as-shit tracks, like Eternal Champions' music.

Hot little riffs briefly at :54 & 1:11 to play around with things, before hitting the real freestyle bwomp-chicka hotness at 1:22. Very nice and very expansive, going off on your own thing while retaining the source material as the base, with some of the not-as-easily-observed usage being the light strings reprising 1:03-1:18 of the source material, and the bwomp-chicka groove arranging :31-:47 of the source.

Nice how many of the subtler support elements under the lead guitar were being played differently each time from 1:22-2:53, though the basic patterns (strings/percussion/sythn playing the source melody pattern) definitely went long, staying around until 2:53. The percussion pattern in particular definitely could have used something to keep it fresh around the 2:20 mark, which was when I noticed the repetitiveness.

Good, but all-too-brief play on the source tune with the guitar work from 3:16-3:30. The sudden dropoff at 3:48 could have functioned more smoothly. Nice samples for the intro and outro too.

This might get called out for being "upgrade + freestyle" and leave you to the tender mercies of the fellow Js, but a closer look at the source and how it was used here led me away from any huge concerns on those grounds.

I felt that the new material gelled fairly naturally with the source material, and that the source coverage gave enough additional depth to the original.

YES

funkified.

the guitar's clearly bring the thing alive. It's definitely a jam track, but it never becomes dull, it keeps moving.

I like the vocal clips, although i think they could have been integrated a bit better with a fadeout, because the fuzz from the samples sticks out when the clip ends.

great stereo work, although i think some of the guitars sound a bit dry. i would have thrown on some intense stereo delay on the guitar around (:35)

this track definitely keeps you moving.

YES

i wonder what's so significant about 4:20 am?