Contact Information

Blackhole

Erik McClure

erik2003@gmail.com

http://www.blackspherestudios.com

Submission Information

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

0² (Zero Two) - Jun Ishikawa

I've heard several remixes of this famous boss battle song floating around on youtube, but one remix in particular caught my ear. It was called "Revenge of Zero Two" by fairuzonss, and it completely diverged from the original song, creating its own unique interpretation. Inspired by this, I tried to combine elements of both the remixes and the original song, along with several melodies of my own, into an eargasm of intertwined ideas. In creating this song, I developed a new sidechain technique to deal with the heavy drums involving several different mix channels, and used the FL Granulizer to create the sweep effects. A multi-band compressor on the master channel was configured to compress only the bass, and allowed me to keep bass levels fairly high without losing all of my headroom. From its inception, I think the project has taken me almost a month to complete, thanks to physics midterms and homework :(. Nevertheless, I am very proud of what I have created, and I'd like to extend special thanks to fairuzonss on youtube for giving me the inspiration I needed to make this track come to life.

Pretty energetic and powerful take on a pretty solid track - the percussion really drives this track in both the original, and is even more prominent in the remix. The soundscape and percussion is excellent, though I think the string attack is way too slow, and it is bad enough that I think it needs to be fixed before posting. Otherwise, solid. :-)

The variation on the original is pretty interesting, and the track itself is cool. The variation of instrumentation on the different sections is effective, and the flow is really nice. I like it. :-)

No (please resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of really good things going on here. Very epic feel on this, definitely expanded from the original, and the drumwork is super solid. I cannot, however, forgive the strings. The attack sounds almost out of time, especially when it does anything faster than half notes. It needs to be fixed before I can consider this a pass. I'd like it to be overall less mechanical, as well, look into humanizing it, as well as the piano.

Awesome track, but needs those fixes, please!

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Sounded a little overcompressed and somewhat weak on mixing, but this was pretty cool. Very epic, full of energy. As far as mixing goes, the instruments don't sound that natural and may have been over EQ-ed towards the highs, or perhaps the compression is messing with the sound. Try to get the strings and piano sounding more natural and the volume levels matching professionally-recorded songs in a similar style. As noted, those string attacks were awful but it should be a one-place fix for you (hopefully). I also think the piano should have been a little humanized on the slower runs; on the faster ones, it's ok. With an arrangement this cool, I hope you spend more time to iron out the issues and resubmit.

NO (resubmit)