Submission Information

Game: Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter II

Song: The Road (Theme of Ryu), Ryu Stage

Additional info about the game:

Developer: Capcom

Composer(s): Takayuki Iwai,Yuki Iwai, Isao Abe, Hideki Okugawa, Tetsuya Shibata

System: Arcade

Year: 1998

Link to the OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hds3be8hoh4&fmt=18, http://vgmdb.net/album/1691

My comments: I'm a big fan of the Street Fighter series and its music is no exception. The third game in the Alpha series took a turn in a new direction musically, ditching the SF2 themes and making brand new original music. Some were good, most were bland. Ryu's theme is one of the best and I did my best to do it justice and give it new life. I used a few traditional japanese percussions and even brought in hints of his SF2 theme aswell

• 4 weeks later...

The song itself started out a little vanilla, with more of a slight genre shift than anything, but each iteration was personalized and felt unique, and though the counterpoint felt a little weird, the incorporation of ryu's original theme was pretty cool and worked out conceptually.

The issue is that the production overall is really unbalanced, with a lot of elements never really gelling together to form a solid base. Between the reverbs, panning, and mixing, nothing seems really solid, and I think adjusting things to have a better foundation would make the track feel better as a whole.

Soundwise, the often used synth guitar grates a little, and could use some improved realism.

No

I will agree with Andrew that while there isn't too much arrangement aside from the genre shift, there is some ice personalization to the source. I'd personally like more done to give this a bit more of a unique edge, but it's still good as is. I do think that the arrangement drags on a little too long or could use something to great bring back the focus later on in the piece. Maybe a dynamic change or more drastic dropout/add in of instruments would help.

Overall the production needs some work. As OA said, right now things aren't working together, and the mix really feels unfocused for it. I also am not a fan with the opening synth, but that's more personal choice.

NO

• 1 month later...

The balance was a little problematic, especially the stabs. However I had more issue with some of the more bubbly synths that felt really out-of-place in such a hard-hitting mix. The end which was just a repetition of previous sections without the drums and bass didn't work. Maybe that would have been a good place to use the mellower synths and drop the energy levels. The arrangement was ok but a little repetitive - not an issue per se, but when you take it with the production issues, this doesn't seem over the bar. Please take another look at this, because the concept is cool. It just needs some variation and smoothness.

NO (resubmit)