*NO* Final Fantasy 5 'Remembrance'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name - prophetik

Your ReMix title: Remembrance

Your ReMix download location: (higher bitrate version available on request)

Your real name - Bradley Burr

Your email address - bradley.burr@gmail.com

Your website - http://prophetikmusic.net

Your userid - 437

Name of game(s) arranged - FFV

Name of individual song(s) arranged - "~Theme of Cid~" - actually i think the track was Reminiscence, but i honestly don't remember. it's just one of the tracks that you associate with Cid in-game.

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

-after the first disc of the FFV project was released, i contacted Shariq about possibly getting in on the next part of the project. i was very impressed with the overall quality of the disc, and wanted to be a part of it. he replied that he'd keep me in mind if someone had to drop out, and later contacted me to fill in for a remixer who was unable to fulfill their track. after a bit of initial confusion over which track i was doing, i jumped into the track - and about five hours later, i had a rough initial sketch that solidified my position on the project. a few more hours of mastering and adjusting, and this final product was born. i tried to keep the wistful quality of the original, which was largely in part to the sparse texture and beautiful melody of uematsu's work. i attempted to utilize a few synths that were reminiscent of chiptunes - notably the lead in the uptempo section and some of the arpeggiating instruments throughout the track. the overall style is one that i've gravitated towards in recent months, combining elements of ambient and uptempo music to make for a journey of sorts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MNvbz5NEw

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, i was really feeling this until the drums got a little glitchy, and some of them were hitting off the beat completely. They got back on a track a little, but would occasionally meander. Once the song went into double time It felt better, and things closed out nicely.

The arrangement is a nice expansion with some very cool ideas, but those drums need to be looked at a little bit and those spots where they get off track should be altered.

Production overall was good, but the master felt a little overcompressed, and the kick was not really prominent enough in the high end. I felt like it should be a little punchier and with more beater, at least in the double time section, where it really needs a boost of energy to match the rest of the track.

The sounds meshed together pretty well otherwise, but between the glitchy drums going crazy, the overcompression on the master, and the kick sound, it should be easy enough to fix. Otherwise, nice work!

No, please resubmit

FYI: as per Shariq being super nice, we now know the source is Nostalgia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MNvbz5NEw

There are some definite nice expansions on the source melody here, and overall I like what's going on. I feel the track goes on for a little too long and/or gets a bit repetitive. I wouldn't mind hearing this condensed a bit, or having the source be altered a bit more in the later occurrences. I also like the soundscape, but I felt like the lead synth got a little overused, and could also use a change up somewhere closer to the middle of the track.

Andrew is correct about the drums, they need to be fixed up, both the bass drum and the timing at spots. Along with that, pull back the compression a bit, and production otherwise is pretty good.

Some spots to fix, but shouldn't be too hard to take care of.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Arrangement was pretty good. The structural changes were big (the original doesn't have much of a structure) and there's a good deal of new background ear candy, but I was disappointed that the melody and arpeggios, the two most prominent parts of the original, stay the same through so much of this. The overall feel is pretty similar, just with drums. Still, that in itself is not a dealbreaker or anything, just made this a little conservative. The arrangement didn't have enough to keep it interesting for six minutes and that was a bigger issue; after four minutes or so it felt like treading water.

The drums were definitely not loud enough in the mix to support a high-energy song like this, and they also sounded somewhat disconnected. I liked the ideas with them, but they were hard to hear and the snare was annoying when you stretched it. The timing didn't bother me so much, though the glitching could have been more purposeful? Sometimes it felt like it was going through the motions.

I think this needs another revision. It's not as polished as most subs we get from you, Brad, and both the production and arrangement could use some more attention.

NO (resubmit)